Cold Water And Computer Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dan 28

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is it just me? I check my batteries every time before I dive and they are fine at the house. Then after a dive in water below 50° the computer is saying the battery level is low. Does a cold environment really sap that much out of the battery, and why if anyone knows.

Cold water will take the life out of your batteries quicker. Lithium batteries will last longer in cold water. I dive with a Shearwater Petrel which uses a variety of AA batteries. You didn't mention what kind of computer you have so I don't know if lithium would be available for you.

Last edited:
Here's an explanation from abouteducation.com

Question: Why Do Batteries Discharge More Quickly in Cold Weather?

Answer: The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom