Cold water exposure suits discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This came up on the dive boat Saturday and I thought I would open up the discussion to the swamp since it is that time of year to either wait until summer or get a wet suit or dry suit that keeps you semi comfortable in the water in the winter months for local diving in Texas.

I used my dry suit a couple weeks ago and I had a neck seal leak and got soaked in the 63 degree water of lake travis. Meaning dry suits are not always dry.

This weekend I got a loaner 5 mm and used my 7 mm hood in the lake.

First hour first dive no problem but dropped core temperature for sure. Second dive I shortened it since I was getting cold. One of those natural instincts with visibility on Oasis Wall at 3 feet ish.

Next weekend I plan to add a hooded vest and see how things go, if I can get the 5 mil with hooded vest to match my dive plans over the 6 month colder water in Lake Travis. That would be sweet.

This is open for more discussion.

There was a nice boat discussion on USIA, Bare, and DUI dry suits Saturday with an interested diver. Thus prompting this open discussion for those that may want to dive during the winter months and not break the bank on a dry suit.

your thoughts swampers :coffee:

So are you just looking for validation of your hare brained idea to try to buy a 5mil and a chicken vest and dive wet all winter? As one who dives with you regulary, I'm ok with it, but the very first time you whine about being cold you are in BIG trouble mister!

Seriously though - the combination of a drysuit and a pee vlave makes winter diving in Travis enjoyable. I think you're giving up a serious comfort factor by suffering through the winter wet. 805 of the confort factor is on the surface - those SITs on Windy Point or on the Giant Stride are sooooo much nicer when one is dry.

I was diving a long long time just a wet 3mil. Then I found the Springs and added a hooded vest and gloves. I just started to dive Travis within the last year. I have yet to dive Travis wet. I admit the dry suit take some getting used to, but the comfort is worth it. Even in the Springs it was more comfortable.

I second Bill on the SITs. Whether you unzip the top or remove the suit completely with the right undergarments you're already warm and mostly dry.

When it comes to my own comfort I don't mind a little cold pain and sometimes actually enjoy it. I take being cold as just a part of a good deep dive at anytime of the year. I have noticed that as each year goes by the surface interval seems to get more Freekin' Sucky then the year before. Follow that with a second dive and life seems less then what I could have suffered by just staying home and raking leaves in the snow.
I wear a Pinnacle 7/5 semi-dry these days quit a bit. When it it comes right down to it a 7mm Farmer John with 2 hoods and a pair of 7mm Henderson gloves can keep me in the water for over an hour @ 41 degrees...
In the past I did that for the second dive but to be perfectly honest unless it's really something special I might pass.

TexDiveGuy had a tip for me last year.... wear surgical gloves under your neoprene gloves.

A few years ago I started to wear socks under my boots. Yes, it makes a difference especially if they are wool socks. I started wearing some kind of socks year round because... "it jus' feelz goooood".

Someday, maybe soon ... I'll cave and just pass the cold water torch to some other fool and get a dry suit like the smart people have .

( yea right :rofl3: )

Wear the drysuit. If you don't want to wear the dry suit, why on earth would go down to a 5mm? You know they make warmer wetsuits than that, right?

Dry suit all the way and you do not have to drain the bank account for a set up. I have picked up a couple of used dry suits for the price of new neoprene. Hell, I even bought a tropical drysuit for Spring Lake and anytime the water is below 85. Just talking about diving wet is making me cold.

As far as the suits, DUI too $$, Bare cut wrong for me, Mobby's = Just Right off the shelf large

Hey Shawn - you'd be so much warmer in a 7mm farmer john + hood. No seals to worry about. And since Lake Travis temps drop to 53F or so, it would extend your season. Add a warm blanket for the surface interval!

So are you just looking for validation of your hare brained idea to try to buy a 5mil and a chicken vest and dive wet all winter? As one who dives with you regulary, I'm ok with it, but the very first time you whine about being cold you are in BIG trouble mister!

Seriously though - the combination of a drysuit and a pee vlave makes winter diving in Travis enjoyable. I think you're giving up a serious comfort factor by suffering through the winter wet. 805 of the confort factor is on the surface - those SITs on Windy Point or on the Giant Stride are sooooo much nicer when one is dry.

:rofl3:

No worries Bill since I will bring my USIA dry suit as my redundant back up like a good sport diver :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hey what do you think about Holiday shore diving? (this is how I hijack my own thread)

I want to find a dive buddy for Dec 24 my birthday, Dec 31 and/or january 1st.

My thought for dive locations are:

Windy Point
Bob Wendtz
Mansfield Dam

If you or anyone else is interested please PM me or send me an email at shawntv@austin.rr.com

LETS local DIVE in the Holiday season

My luck has been good so far with the weather. Over the past 3 weekends diving I have always had 70 degree topside temperatures and sunshine for the great austin weather.

:D

Last edited:
Shawn... Ma Man... Whats up with the cold stuff questions ? .... I know you Irish dudes have some good Whiskey to make the surface interval warm and cozy :eyebrow:

Actually, I thought the Irish had surface intervals to make the whiskey warm and cozy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom