Cold Water Regulator for Lake Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiskx049

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just went up to Lake Superior for the first time and dove the Hesper and the Madeira, on the Madeira my aqualung Titan free flowed, frankly scaring the **** out of me. (first dive in Superior) Water temp was around 37-39 F. Does anyone have recommendations for a good *beginner* cold weather regulator that won't break the bank? Thanks.

Titan is not rated for cold water, so no surprise. (older Titan LX Supreme was though)

Within the Aqualung line the Core Supreme is cw, and surprisingly so is the Calypso, although not marketed that way. Another affordable “extreme” cold option is the Sherwood Blizzard.

I am happy with my Scubapro G260 in the same temps. If you only need the second stage not too badly priced.

Apeks XTX50 won’t break the bank. I’ve had mine down to 41 degrees on Lakes Michigan and Huron. Good solid workhorse reg used by a lot of techies, too. My AquaLung Legend LX Supreme does very well in the same temps.

I dive either ScubaPro MK-17/G250v or Poseidon MK-3/XStream (actually, I believe I have a MK-2 - it doesn't have the internal OPV) regulators here in the Great Lakes. They have served me well. Having not purchased any of them new, they have not broken the bank...

YMMV

I dive a Tusa RS790 (rebranded Scubapro MK17/S555). I’ve had it in water down to 36-38 degrees with only one free flow. Not sure if Tusa still sells this reg but the MK17 with second stage of your choice would be a great option.

A lot of the working divers and PSD in our area use Scubapro MK2 first stages in very cold winter water with good results the lower flow rate actually works in your favor for cold weather diving. Also a very affordable option.

Another vote for XTX50. Have dived mine in 1 degree C with no issues. Other choices may be Deep6 Signature or HOG.

Funny the ScubaPro MK-2 was brought up. I actually use it on my pony for ice diving.

Funny the ScubaPro MK-2 was brought up. I actually use it on my pony for ice diving.

I'm a warm water wuss and will probably never go ice diving. However, I'd be interested to know the results of an ice diving experiment with a MK2. The experiment would be to purposefully ignore proper cold water technique and force flow a lot of gas through it in an attempt to freeze it up. Then compare the results to a first stage that is designed for cold water.

The MK2 being an unbalanced piston has only one part, the seat, exposed to high pressure (except the tiny holes drilled for the hp port.)

Whatcha doing this afternoon Bob?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom