Cold water wetsuits (semi drysuits)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TyGuy

Okay, a drysuit would be great but it's not in your budget. The exception might be a lightly used neoprene drysuit. The benefit here is no need for primo garments. You can do well for over 6 months just wearing under armor or some other good wicking layer under one of those. They are heavy bulky but swim nice.

Semi drysuit? That's neither fish nor fowl. It will have seals and a real good zipper but you only get the neoprene layer for warmth so not much bling there. They can be nice in a more temperate climate but they don't come cheap. Don;t confuse this with a good wetsuit that has flow limiting seals.

As for wetsuits the Bare line is hard to beat for warmth and price value. One of their 7mm full suits and the companion step-in hooded vest can give you quite a range. I have such a set and it has served me well for 100s of dives.

As a point of reference most divers find 50F to be a limit for sustained wet diving. I can dip down into colder water for the deep parts of a fresh water dive but would not want to be facing an hour in 40F diving wet.

More thoughts here.

Pete

I did my first 50 cold water dives in a semi dry . I loved it . When I tried the dry suit for the first time I did not look back . The semi dry was nice to learn in , was great for one dive , hated putting it on for a second dive . There are still lots of locals using them that swear by them , none of them are how you would say ... slim .

Semi dry is still semi wet!

I can handle barely handle 53 degrees for 2 dives in a semidry with fleece. But then again I'm only 103 lbs.

Hey TyGuy!

I just did my first dive of the season on march 19. Water temp was a balmy 41 degree. I wore a 7mil full suit along with a 7 mil hood vest. Dive duration was 42 minutes. I did a early exit due to cold hand and bad viz. Get your self a 7 mil hooded vest on top of a full suit and you will be good to go. The first thing that will get really cold is your hands, next will be your feet. If I had wore my new three finger mitt I could have stayed longer, however I hate thick gloves. I agree that a dry suit is best for a dive in the early part of the dive season, but if you don't have the money then a hooded vest is the next best thing.

Dive more!

What is a barracuda hothead?

I understand that a drysuit is ultimately the way to go. Even with closeout deals it looks like a Drysuit plus undergarments, socks and boots will cost more than $1k. Does anyone have a recommendation on a really good wetsuit that would keep me warm in 45-50 degree water?

I'm not sure if the best is a 7 or 8MM or a semi-dry. A cheaper route would be a 2 piece 7MM Farmer John. Any thoughts on what would be best.

I would be willing to spend up to $600 on a great suit. As I will soon be Nitrox diving I am hoping to be able to comfortably stay under water for upwards of 60 minutes without catching a cold (which actually happened on a 65 foot dive with a 7MM wetsuit with the seals broken). Someone recommended a Waterproof W1, can anyone atest to it's pros/cons.

Optimally, I would love to get a full Drysuit setup for cheap, does anyone know of a way that I could find a drysuit setup for under $1K?

Thanks in advance for your help,
MT

Last edited:
Fit is most important.

No sense in buying a wetsuit if it is not comfortable and does not fit properly. Just go to shops in your area and try on wetsuits. Once you find one to your liking ask when they have their sale. A $450 wetsuit will drop at least a hundred dollars that same day. I use an Xcel SCS 9/7/6mm for Northern California SCUBA diving down to 44F. I paid around $350 cash for the prior year's model. My buddy got a Xcel 8/7/6/5mm for $250 since he knew someone at the shop.

I use an open cell 7mm Farmer John with seals for freediving.

Here is a rookies 2 cents. (I dive in Maine year round)
How about a 7mm henderson gold core for $238. Johnson's in Brunswick Maine is closing them out.
I'd like to get a drysuit someday but for now I am layered up in my 3mm kayaking neoprene up here in Maine. Layering does help.
And for all of the core is warm extremities are cold folks that is the more likely thebody doing it's job not your equipment. Read about perfusion in a good first aid book.

Optimally, I would love to get a full Drysuit setup for cheap, does anyone know of a way that I could find a drysuit setup for under $1K?

Call LeisurePro and see what their best price is for a Freedom 2.

Check out Cabelas for Polartec fleece sweatshirts and pants.

Thanks in advance for your help,
MT

Call LeisurePro and see what their best price is for a Freedom 2.

Check out Cabelas for Polartec fleece sweatshirts and pants.

Currently on LP Bare 2007 Nex-Gen Dry Suit on closeout - $649.00. As to the underwear, it always helps to call our sales agents directly as accessories are usually available in a package deal for a discounted price.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom