Columbia, MO. diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunch35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been hanging out in columbia on the weekends and was wondering if there is any place close to here to dive. My expectations are not very high, I am thinking of finger lakes, has any one dove it this year? is it worth it?

I believe Cummings has dove Finger Lakes a couple times. I think I remember him saying they did some work on the lake and it took out the only place to enter the water, but I might be wrong.

South of Columbia is a private quarry called Eugene. I believe one of the dive shops in Columbia oversee it and that is who you need to contact to gain entry. Not sure which dive shop. Eugene is a place to get wet. I did my open water there a few years back. It doesn't have a lot of things to see, but again a place to get the gills wet.

Snagel

I believe Cummings has dove Finger Lakes a couple times. I think I remember him saying they did some work on the lake and it took out the only place to enter the water, but I might be wrong.

South of Columbia is a private quarry called Eugene. I believe one of the dive shops in Columbia oversee it and that is who you need to contact to gain entry. Not sure which dive shop. Eugene is a place to get wet. I did my open water there a few years back. It doesn't have a lot of things to see, but again a place to get the gills wet.

Snagel

scuba Adventure (Search Results for " scubaadventure.net ") from Jefferson City MO owns this quarry. Several of the area dive shops do thier open water training here. There are three quarrys on the same property two of which are dove more than the third (never dove the third my self) and it ain't great but it is wet and differant. thier are several local divers that will dive here on the weekends just to get out and get wet if nothing else. It is not that far from me so I have been there many times, if you go let me know and I will try and show up.

The owner Jeff Adams is pretty easy going about using the site. (573)634-DIVE [(573)634-3483]

Here is a link to Google maps (if you zoom in you can see that someone was diving when this image was taken )
Google Maps

Close is of course relative... but Bonne Terra Mines (2dive.com) is opens on weekends.

Yes this is a good dive and likely as close to Columbia, maybe closer. The only down side to this is the three dive minimum at $65 a dive, $195 for some diving... Actually I also am not fond of the fact that it is a tour, you have to follow around in their group where they keep you all happily entertained in a convient and orderly fashion. Besides that it is a good dive....:D

The only thing I didnt like about Eugene was you have to stop by the shop to get the key to the gate, drive down to the quarry, then after your dive, drive back to the shop to drop off the key. For me, that put me way out of the way. But oh well, I've dealt with worse. Oh yeah, worst case of chiggers I ever got, too. I drowned and froze them out at Mermet the following weekend.

Does anyone know if that shop Columbia Scuba is still open? I heard that had closed there doors but did know if it was just a rumor.

The only thing I didnt like about Eugene was you have to stop by the shop to get the key to the gate, drive down to the quarry, then after your dive, drive back to the shop to drop off the key. For me, that put me way out of the way. But oh well, I've dealt with worse. Oh yeah, worst case of chiggers I ever got, too. I drowned and froze them out at Mermet the following weekend.

oh. well the past two years or so he doesn't close the gate. I think he got tired of people breaking the lock etc... but People are encouraged to call him up. and let him know etc...

Does anyone know if that shop Columbia Scuba is still open? I heard that had closed there doors but did know if it was just a rumor.

which one? there are two, or where two...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom