Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalistair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to dive the Comel River (I need one more dive site for the dive around Texas challenge) either the 18th or the 25th and was wondering what the facilities are like there (its a drift dive so is there a charter to take you back up the river and can you get air fills there)? Also, would anyone be willing to dive with me then?

Joshua

The charter is your feet. Just walk up the sidewalk, get in drift down and repeat.

No air fills on site, but last time I went there I did a total of 204min on a single AL80, so if you bring a full tank you'll have plenty I would think. It's quite shallow, obviously.

hmm so how long is the stretch where people dive and is it worth diving?

It's a fun, although a shallow dive. I usually park at Prince Solmes Park. Once geared up, take the sidewalk next to the river and walk upstream to the last set of steps going into the water. Once in, swim upstream until you are just on the other side of the bridge. Turn around and drift downstream. Max depth is approx 13 ft. Most of the time, you'll be in 6 to 7 ft. When conditions are right, the water is crystal clear. I would not count on that now with all the rain. Lots of curious fish to check out. You can easily get two dives off of one AL80, probably three. I'd be happy to join you either day. If the weather holds out, viz should be fairly cleared up by then.

Ah I was looking at the Comal river online and it looks like they have a small fish that only lives there and the Guadeloupe River. Hopefully I will get a chance to see some! I am always looking for dive buddies and will likely dive one if not both of those Saturdays. As for Trashfest, I am in an army course right now and have to keep at least one day open on the weekend to write papers, speeches, and research so with the BBQ on Sunday I will not be able to go dive on Saturday. Are either of you showing up at Lake Travis tomorrow?

I need one more dive site for the dive around Texas challenge

Joshua

Every site we visit on Lake Travis counts as a different site for the Dive Around Texas program. We will be out tomorrow for two charters during the Swamper dive and space is still available. You can jump on the shuttle either at 8:00 or 12:30 to join the group if you need another site and want to do some boat diving.

Robert

Hey Robert, are you doing a single or double tank charter for the swamper dives? I may be interested in a single after 12 or so. Also I do need to get my book stamped from the last time I dove with you. As for the sites, Dave at Blue Dolphin dive shop in Temple is saying they are only counting different bodies of water so I want to get Comel or some other body just to make sure.

Hey Robert, are you doing a single or double tank charter for the swamper dives? I may be interested in a single after 12 or so. Also I do need to get my book stamped from the last time I dove with you. As for the sites, Dave at Blue Dolphin dive shop in Temple is saying they are only counting different bodies of water so I want to get Comel or some other body just to make sure.

We are doing two tank dives but if you only want to do one, we can arrange to drop you off between dives.

Eric Peterson, Dive Around Texas contact, will confirm that each site on Lake Travis is considered unique just as Mansfield Dam and Windy Point are considered different shore dive locations on Lake Travis. The Dive Around Texas Stamp is available at several of our local shops including Scubaland, Tom's Dive and Swim, Oak Hill Scuba and Dive World. I can provide the Lake Travis Scuba stamp to validate your log page for each site, but that does not apply to the Dive Around Texas program.

Send a text message or leave a message on my cell phone if you want to arrange for a one tank dive.

Regardless of coming out on Giant Stride, Comal is a fun dive and worth making the trip.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
www.LakeTravisScuba.com
512-785980

Hmm sounds like a plan then, I am meeting up with several people from here today at Windy Point and will play it by ear to see if we are going to to do a boat dive. Regardless I will be up for another boat dive before the season is over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom