Comal River?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went out there yesterday. The water was down a bit and it was crowded with tubers but it was still very fun.

Yes it is.... I was there the 4th and manged to get to 9ft, however there was a lot of 3-4ft water that made my 50 min dive only record 30 on the comp.
I agree with RD it is was still fun, especially if you go early before the tubers show up.

Yes it is.... I was there the 4th and manged to get to 9ft, however there was a lot of 3-4ft water that made my 50 min dive only record 30 on the comp.
I agree with RD it is was still fun, especially if you go early before the tubers show up.

I'm debating going down to NB early next week to dive the Comal. Anyone camped at Landa Park? Also, what parts of the river are in the 4 ft range? Last time I dove the river section between Texas Tubes and the 1st chute east of them. Thanks for any input.

So get this: the Comal gets flooded each week with nasty, murky, grass-infested lake water via Landa Falls. I put up with about 2 dozen trains, each hitting the horn about 2 dozen times, from what sounded like about 2 dozen feet from my campsite (camped at Landa Park & could actually hike up to the tracks in about 10 seconds from the tent) ALL NIGHT LONG. Gear up in the A.M., super excited to hit the water, and literally as I'm doing my pre-entry reg check the stopgates opened and the river went from crystal to septic sludge (at least it smelled that way). Needless to say, I'm quite pissed off about the whole thing, especially given that I drove about 4 hours for this little weekend trip and got maybe 27 seconds of sleep last night.

So, word to the wise: Don't even think about diving the river the first half of the week, since the lake water floods all day, usually mondays or tuesdays. And unless you're deaf, don't camp out at Landa Falls RV Park. I went to school in College Station for 4 years and didn't hear as many trains during the whole experience as I did last night.

EDIT: Even after having a throughrough scrubddown in the shower I still reek like that decomposing lake water the "authorities" ruin the river with (I had to get into the midst of it to recover a lost fin). Just dandy.

I am sorry you had a bad time there. I have seen it get crappy after it rains but have not noticed it being related to any part of the week. I don't think I would camp there myself. I hope you make it back out there on a day where its better.

Back
Top Bottom