Comfort items for liveaboard - or what you can't live without..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some of my suggestions.

• ear plugs are usually my first suggestion. (already mentioned here). People snore, boats make noise. Anchor chains going up/down are very noisey.
  • Eye cover is nice too, if you are sleeping in shared bunk space. People turn the lights on when you're sleeping.
  • Small flashlight to keep in your bunk. You want to be able to get out of the lower bunk area in the event of an emergency, which will most likely result in a generator outage affecting the lighting.
  • Small roll of duct tape, white athletic tape, and Liquid band-aid. Great for water sore feet, heals, etc.
  • Chap-stick. I never use the stuff on land, but lips will chap from sun and wind on the ocean.
  • Insulated mug is a must. keeps drink cool and is different from everyone elses cup. The bigger the better.
  • Dive Alert horn and safety sausage.
  • regulator rebuild kit. great to put in your save a dive kit. Otherwise you cant get parts while on your liveaboard for your regulator.
  • antacid or Malox. Sometimes liveaboard food isn't what you're used to eating.
  • sudafed. To keep open nasal passages in the event of a head cold, which could stop your diving vacation.
  • Electrical: Either a power strip or a cheaper extension cord to plug up your camera battery charger. a 3prong to 2 prong convertor might be needed also. Voltage convertor if you're out of country.
  • Zofran - heavy duty nasseau medicine. (perscription required).
  • crew tip money (cash)
  • Sewing kit - I've had a wetsuit seam come unstitched on a dive trip before.
  • Reef Fish ID book, but they usually have one of these on board most boats.
  • Blank CD's. - sounds ridiculous, but other people will be taking pics that you might be in and most every camera is digital now. They bring their laptops to view the pics on. Bring CD's (or large memory stick) so you can get a copy of images you might want from others.

Hope this helps some.

Damselfish:
72 hours. Clean the skin really well and stick a bandaid over it helps my husband keep it on for the duration. Even on a liveaboard.

I buy clear waterproof bandaids and cut the sticky ends off to stick over my patch to make sure it doesn't come off. Nothing worse than seeing a diver hit the water with a patch and come out without it.....hate to think of the poor fish that ate it! :shakehead

~ chocolate
~ deoderizer or essential oils or sweet smelling lotion to make my bunk/cabin smell good
~ chocolate
~ heating pad if expecting cold windy weather
~ chocolate
~ shoe box sized plastic box with lid for my on-deck dive stowage, works good for items I want to keep semi-dry & safe
~ more chocolate...can't have too much chocolate

I have not been on a liveaboard, yet, but hope to before the year is out. I plan to bring:

My coffee press--I can't function without my morning cup of joe, and it's gotta be my coffee.
Eye mask--I sleep with one of these even when it's dark so that when the sun comes up, I don't have to look for it.
A few assorted bite-sized snacks
A good paperback

I think that's pretty much it!

Be aware that on many boats food is prohibited in cabins to prevent critters from taking up residence. Plus there was so much food provided on our liveaboard that the last thing we would have wanted were more snacks. :wink:

I don't know if anyone mentioned Ibuprofen? But I an old guy and with the concentrated diving I used some muscles that haven't used for awhile. You might want some Ben Gay also. Most liveabroads have geezer gas (nitrox) nowadays:D

Back
Top Bottom