Coming to Hawai'i.. wanna dive.. recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tinytechie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok so Im going to be in Waikiki for a week at the end of january with my folks, they dont dive but I do.. heh thats an understatement.. its my life.. So I'm deffinately going to do some diving.. possibly only one day of it we'll see how things go. I was hoping I could get some recomendations on a good shop to dive with? Here's my deal.. I dont need to be looked after.. I'm an MSDT with tech training so I am VERY easy underwater.. that being said I dont want to spend my dive looking after others either and I want some challenging diving.. or at least not 10 feet deep on a sand patch kinda diving.. heh heh I just wanna have a good time.. any dive shops that do discounts for instructors would be on teh top of the list too on account of the fact that im a dive instructor.. ergo.. poor.. heh heh thanks for the tips ahead of time!:lotsalove:

Check out Island Divers. When I was over on Oahu, they provided some additional incentive to go with them for our (another instructor and me) fun dives with them.

cool mate, cheers i'll check em out

I would also like to second Island Divers.. They treated me right... "Jo" and "Chris L." are great, they are the "tech guys" their at Island Divers.

www.oahuscubadiving.com

Last edited:
I wont be the one to point out the obvious contradiction in krisb's referal. and thats "not" to knock Island Divers, I do know they have a nice following in the tech community. so there must be a "good reason" for it. the closest i will ever get to tech diving is my recurring dream of discoverying the secret underwater tunnel into diamondhead where the pirates stashed their booty. enjoy your stay.

I wont be the one to point out the obvious contradiction in krisb's referal. and thats "not" to knock Island Divers, I do know they have a nice following in the tech community. so there must be a "good reason" for it. the closest i will ever get to tech diving is my recurring dream of discoverying the secret underwater tunnel into diamondhead where the pirates stashed their booty. enjoy your stay.
You seem to have entirely missed my point in the other thread.

Here's a summary: if you're only on Oahu (for whatever reasons), and you want to dive, go for it. If you're trying to PICK which island to go to for a DIVE VACATION, find one other than Oahu.

IDH was the better of the two ops we used. The other wanted everybody to dive 50's and 63's. Thankfully, we brought our own tanks.

I would be lying if i said there wasnt photos of me diving with sunglasses and no mask... duurr??? ya im gonna be in oahu and i want to dive.. its not a DIVE trip haha or no i wouldnt be going to oahu.. honestly i probably wouldnt be going to hawaii.. i'd be hitting micronesia.. truk lagoon.. yap.. palau heh heh heh... Actually what would be cool is a dive shop that wouldnt care if I took off my mask and put on sunnies to take pics underwater heh heh heh not that i plan on doin that on this trip but if the dm doesnt care about that stuff it sounds like more of what im after. ;D

-tho i wouldnt mind divin a 50 or 63... actually would probably ask for a smaller tank unless i can use the same one for two dives and pay less! hah! on account of the fact that im a fish

I would be lying if i said there wasnt photos of me diving with sunglasses and no mask... duurr??? ya im gonna be in oahu and i want to dive.. its not a DIVE trip haha or no i wouldnt be going to oahu.. honestly i probably wouldnt be going to hawaii.. i'd be hitting micronesia.. truk lagoon.. yap.. palau heh heh heh... Actually what would be cool is a dive shop that wouldnt care if I took off my mask and put on sunnies to take pics underwater heh heh heh not that i plan on doin that on this trip but if the dm doesnt care about that stuff it sounds like more of what im after. ;D

-tho i wouldnt mind divin a 50 or 63... actually would probably ask for a smaller tank unless i can use the same one for two dives and pay less! hah! on account of the fact that im a fish
Well, on that note... my avatar photo was taken during the safety stop at Baby Barge with Island Divers.

Since we were both instructors, we were allowed the freedom to explore as we saw fit by IDH -- and I'm sure you can get a smaller tank from them. It was that the other op was a little less "dive as you wish" and had newbies diving 50's in the same dive group. We stuck around underwater longer than they did... but still, it's disappointing to see fresh divers have to go back up after a 30' for 20 minute dive when it's due to small tank size.

I used Island Divers when I was on vacation in April. Good operation with pick up and drop off in Waikiki. Sounds like you want the same type of diving I wanted. And I pretty much got it. We did drift dives while the tech guys on board played with scooters. I was not disappointed, they seem to be able to accomodate everyone. Do the morning boat dives, though, as the afternoon boat tends to load up with beginner divers, people doing resort courses, checkout dives, etc. Or better yet, see if they have a three tank morning boat. Wish I had known about that one before I booked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom