Coming to SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need some help. I will be heading to the LA area in a week or so for a month, ok, 3 months, well maybe 9 months. What's the conditions typically like, vis, temp, etc? Everything I've seen for water temp indicate I should pack my dry suit with several thicknesses of undergarments. I am limited to what I can bring on the airline and would like to bring the least possible.

thanks,
jerry

at Catalina last weekend, water temperature was in the high 50's. Viz was 30-40 feet. Things do get a little green with plankton as waters warm, but that usually burns off in early summer (but not last year.) Anyway, by September, you can expect water temps in the mid to high 60's. A lot of people do dive dry year round, so you won't be alone.

95devils:
I need some help. I will be heading to the LA area in a week or so for a month, ok, 3 months, well maybe 9 months. What's the conditions typically like, vis, temp, etc? Everything I've seen for water temp indicate I should pack my dry suit with several thicknesses of undergarments. I am limited to what I can bring on the airline and would like to bring the least possible.

thanks,
jerry

From wherever you are coming from, you are upgrading coming to So Cal - and we welcome you.

I dive dry year round. I use DUI 300 GR Polarfleece year round. The water rolls from 52 - 58 most of the time, with the occasional 60. Bring your drysuit undies, some warm UG and your life support. You can rent the rest.

Except fins. Rental fins blow - when you can find them.

Send me a PM - we'll dive the park sometime when you get out here.

K

I can imagine that diving dry is nice, but I wear a 7 mm full suit over a hooded vest and I never get cold diving here year-round. But a lot of other people I've gone diving with always complain and give me the dreaded shiver sign just when I'm really getting into a dive. Ouch.

It's probably all about getting a good fit with a wetsuit and maybe I just got lucky...

I figure if I'm in the water I might as well get wet...

Diving Dry? Is that what Kyle is attempting with his tanks in the desert?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I was at Catalina last weekend. Most people were in wet suits, i was in a 7mm. I did get a little cold, but I wasn't wearing a hooded vest, just a hood. Maybe i'll be warmer with one. Temp was 61, visibility was about 25 feet at the park.

Since Dr. Bill isn't here to represent himself, we must remember he dives in a 7mm shorty year-round.....brrrrrrr

95devils:

thanks,
jerry

Hey Jerry,

You will be fine in your dry suit and your polar fleece or thermals. Remember, it's a heck of alot warmer here, than there!!! I dive year round in a 7mm wet suit and NO HOOD.

If you need a dive buddy when you get here, look me up. I will introduce you to beach diving and our wonderful kelp forests!

Warm Regards

Thanks for the info. I'm heading out Wednesday. Be out there probably until the 20th of May. Got to be back so I can head to the Cayman Islands for two weeks then back to LA. I'll get a hold of some of you when I get time to dive. Definately would love to see the scenery.

jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom