Commercial Diving Careers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there enough jobs to sustain employment for inspectors (non destructive testing) and other commercial diving specialties? Just curious whats out there.

Ok, slightly longer answer- oil price has gone over a cliff, taking about 80% of the diving work with it. In the North Sea just now, for example, there are around about 1000 less divers than say 3 years ago. The remaining work is overwhelmingly inspection (very little construction about) and maintenance, so every guy who is working just now has a 3.2u, and a DMT as standard. Shorter answer- diving is in the toilet just now, and technically Inspection is the prevalent discipline, but there is still a massive oversupply, so, y'know, good luck...

I was just curious not looking to change careers, but I recently saw an ad for the Poly Tech University for commercial divers and such. I use to teach in the Electrical Engineering Department at a community college, well I would have 100+ students in my classes over two years and they would graduate with an A.S. in Electrical Eng. Tech or a certificate and I knew from being in the work force (adjunct instructor full time maintenance employee) that at any given time in our area maybe 20-50 jobs posted and they were almostly all looking for experienced canidates to the fill the jobs. Point being what you said is about what I expected.

Though it would be something I would do I already work in nasty enviroments just topside, the time to start from the bottom up would be a real issue for me.

thanks for the replies.

Inspection/engineer diving in the NYC area is doing very well. That's about all I know.

Dear friends,
I am planning to purchase a dive boat for recreational divers/snorkelers in the Miami area with 6 passengers or less. I really cannot find any clear documentation online that gives me guidance if I need a USCG inspection and certificate or not. After reading the blog, I do not think I need the OSHA certification but please help me if you have any information or link you may have.

Thank you in advance

how big of a boat, you will also need a captain licence.
Dear friends,
I am planning to purchase a dive boat for recreational divers/snorkelers in the Miami area with 6 passengers or less. I really cannot find any clear documentation online that gives me guidance if I need a USCG inspection and certificate or not. After reading the blog, I do not think I need the OSHA certification but please help me if you have any information or link you may have.

Thank you in advance

you would need all the safety stuff (vhf, flares, life jackets, life raft, EPERB... list is on the coast guard site), but the vessel dose not need to be inspected.

Dear friends,

Thank you in advance
This ? USCG: Passenger Vessel Safety Program - Uninspected Passenger Vessel

Back
Top Bottom