Commercial Diving Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattleycrue76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So here it is:

I'm a fairly new diver (about six months AOW/Nitrox) and have found diving to be excepionally rewarding. I really enjoy the challenges that every new class brings with it. Lately I have found my current job to be less and less enjoyable (and profitable) and I have started wondering about a career in commercial diving. I live near Seattle so the obvious choice for me would be DIT. I am 31 years old and have a mortgage to pay so if I decide to do this I will have to be able to find a job soon after graduation.

I don't generally beleive most of what comes out of a recruiters mouth so I thought I'd ask the people here who have had experiences with this field

Is DIT a good school?
Are there good employment prospects for fresh grads?
About how much is tuition and does it vary greatly from school to school?
Will I be forced to travel or are there good jobs in the puget sound area?

Sorry for all the questions I am just looking for other people's experience with comercial diving/schools

So here it is:

I'm a fairly new diver (about six months AOW/Nitrox) and have found diving to be excepionally rewarding. I really enjoy the challenges that every new class brings with it. Lately I have found my current job to be less and less enjoyable (and profitable) and I have started wondering about a career in commercial diving. I live near Seattle so the obvious choice for me would be DIT. I am 31 years old and have a mortgage to pay so if I decide to do this I will have to be able to find a job soon after graduation.

I don't generally beleive most of what comes out of a recruiters mouth so I thought I'd ask the people here who have had experiences with this field

Is DIT a good school?

Sorry for all the questions I am just looking for other people's experience with comercial diving/schools

Do a search on "commercial diving" here on S.B. & start reading. If you have any specific questions, p.m. me & I'll try to answer them for you.

Regards,
DSD

So here it is:

Is DIT a good school?

If you live near Seattle, I would look at Pugett Sound Naval Yard(sp?). They're constantly hiring for a variety of positions at the shipyard, and since its government, you're probably not going to get laid off if the economy is doing poorly and they do pay decently. A friend of mine is making close to 30 bucks an hour as a journeyman welder there. He had to do school for 2 years while he did the work, but they pay you while you're going to school and they pay for the school itself too as long as you agree to work for them for a year (if you don't then you have to pay them back the cost of the school, that's all). I dunno if welding interests you or not but it'd destroy your body a lot slower than commercial diving, based on what I've read about it myself when I was looking into that.

So here it is:

Is DIT a good school?

It is a good school, it is a private institution so is expensive when compared to a state funded course (Youngs memorial in LA and Santa Barbara in CA)

There are good employment prospects, especially right now but most require travel.

Private schools are from $16,000-$30,000 depending on how many "extra" certification they are able to sell you.

State funded courses are around $2000.

Jeff

Thank you very much for your replies. After spending an entire day doing research I have concluded that while I may be willing to endure the low pay as a tender for two years I probably can't afford to.

I did come across a related subject that I couldn't find out nearly as much about. Seems like ROV mechanics and pilots are in fairly high demand. Does anyone happen to know how long it takes to get this type of training, how much it costs or what the pay is?

Back
Top Bottom