Community-based Instructor Evaluation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure there are mechanisms in place to remove an instructor through the agency, but in this case (and most others I would imagine) it required a death/incident to do it. That shouldn't be necessary....

Wilson are you a padi divemaster? If so go to their website and look at all the suspended instructors. No agency seems to be nervous about suspending instructors.

No, I'm a NAUI Divemaster. A buddy of mine & I reported an Instructor to PADI last summer and we have no idea what, if any action was taken. The dude had his Divemaster doing the OW dives, open book final test and wasn't even in the same state during the OW dives. To top it off, the whole group had shut down the bars in town the night before and the Divemaster's hung over wife was asleep on the adjoining picnic table.

lundysd:
Sure there are mechanisms in place to remove an instructor through the agency, but in this case (and most others I would imagine) it required a death/incident to do it. That shouldn't be necessary....
Not completly thru padi europe expeled a owsi a few year ago just for messing up
(a lot)but no death or injury,just a lot of wrongly answerd QA forms.
So maybe all agencys should have QA forms and better yet all students should return them.
So to all biginners do sent in your QA form, they are here to help you ,and us.

Wilson:
No, I'm a NAUI Divemaster. A buddy of mine & I reported an Instructor to PADI last summer and we have no idea what, if any action was taken. The dude had his Divemaster doing the OW dives, open book final test and wasn't even in the same state during the OW dives. To top it off, the whole group had shut down the bars in town the night before and the Divemaster's hung over wife was asleep on the adjoining picnic table.

Give us a name/number and we can find out(or does this go against TOS,if so please remove)

Wilson:
So, someone gets hurt and an agency may be reluctant to act on a given Instructor because it reflects on their inability to train them correctly to begin with? Or, you get rid of one and another pops up in his place due to the system they trained in. Tough analysis...what to do next?

The agency can't take action against the instructor if the instructor dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. I believe some agencies are happy to hang an instructor if they can find a way to show he wasn't following standards. I believe some agencies intentionally write standards that are so confusing experienced instructors can't agree on what they require just for that purpose.

When an instructor follows standards and those standards result in an accident, the agency is at fault. Most of us (instructors especially) seem all too eager to hold agencies blameless while hanging honest instructors.

300bar diver:
Give us a name/number and we can find out(or does this go against TOS,if so please remove)

I just checked with the LDS where we lodged the complaint (a PADI facility). The instructor in question received a fairly severe warning from PADI, even though he denied all of our allegations.

I'm not a padi instructor but I know that even a warning can warrant a suspension. Keep an eye out for the suspended list they publish.

I felt for the poor folks in the class. They thought they were getting the best of everything. I have a close friend who is a PADI Instructor who busts his tail for every class and in the end they all get the same card as the other folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom