Compare the EPL1 or 2 vs XZ1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the basic differences of these two cameras both for underwater and and above water as a travel camera? Sort of confused with these two newer products introduced so close in time to each other.

In basic terms, the XZ1 is a small high end point and shoot that will compete with other 350-500 buck point and shoot cameras. It's got a single non-interchangeable lens with a 4-5 times zoom, a slightly bigger sensor than the cheap point and shoots so it should have better picture quality, can shoot pictures as close as you want and still do a decent job on longer shots.

The Pen series cameras are sort of a hybrid between a high end point and shoot camera and a full sized DSLR. The camera body itself is sized fairly comparably to some of the high end point and shoot cameras out there, and quite a bit smaller than most DSLRs. The lenses generally will make it a larger overall camera than the point and shoots, but you have the capabilities of changing lenses and can mount different lenses based on needs and budget. The Pen series cams have a significantly larger sensor (although not as large as the DSLRs) which should allow for better picture quality and less noise (just like stereos, some people just can't tell the difference, but it's there once you get the eye/ear for it). The time between when you click the shutter and the picture is actually taken should be much quicker, although apparently not as fast as most DSLRs.

Underwater, the XZ1 should have a much smaller housing and be a bit easier to carry around. The Pens have a bigger, although smaller compared to what's out there for DSLRs, housing in order to accomodate a couple of the lens options, and apparently there are third party ports available to accept other lenses as well. The point and shoots will generally have less expensive housings, the Pen housings are a step up in price, and DSLR housings will be spendier yet. The point and shoot housings often have wet add on lens options to eek out a bit more capabilities out of the point and shoots, the larger housings you usually change lenses (possibly ports as well) pre-dive based on the type of shooting you expect to do. There are limited wet lens add ons (macro at this point) for the Pen series housings as well.

In the past your choices were basically between some type of smaller point and shoot and the larger DSLRs, with the introduction of the micro four thirds cameras (such as the Pens and the G(x) series Panasonics) you now have something that blends the features of both. All are fine cameras, and choices can be made based on budget and size.

Reactions: MMM
Thanks! Good info. As you might have noticed, I goofed and posted this question twice by accident. It seems I might want to stick with my OLY 8000 as a P&S instead of upgrading to the XZ1. If I really want to upgrade for a little better quality and light sensor, then think about the EPL.

Thanks! .... It seems I might want to stick with my OLY 8000 as a P&S instead of upgrading to the XZ1. If I really want to upgrade for a little better quality and light sensor, then think about the EPL.

The xz1 is dramatically better than the 8000 in image quality. You will be shocked at how much better. I think for most people it will do 90% of what they want to do, and the cost and size of the E-PL1 system may be not worth the price for the little you gain.

We're not talking about a a camera for a professional photographer, for them less is less. But for most of the rest of us. less is more, that is to say the convenience of the smaller size far outweighs the few limitations of the larger and more versatile system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom