Compared to few years ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the sea life like Bonaire compared to a few years ago? I expect that like everywhere else there has been some decline? But how much decline?

What is the sea life like Bonaire compared to a few years ago? I expect that like everywhere else there has been some decline? But how much decline?
While there has been some bleaching in certain areas, much of which recovers over the winter, I think overall, the coral and sponges have been getting better over the past few years. Could it be due to the installation of the sewage treatment system 7-8 years back?

I agree with AGD. We went to Bonaire twice this year, June and September. Maybe the Year of Few Divers gave the reefs a chance to breathe, but whatever the reasons, we felt like things were great compared to our last visit, in 2018. The staghorn regeneration projects are taking hold, there were lots of tiny critters. We were so happy with our trips we're going back in January instead of other places we've had in rotation with Bonaire. N.b., SCTLD has not made it to the southern Caribbean yet, and so the hard corals are in great shape compared to many other places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom