Comparing, comparing and more comparing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowmouth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Why do so many divers find it so important to compare this dive-site with that one and this place with that place? I mean, here in Asia one can basically drop anywhere in the water and have a great dive. No need to compare because all the sites have good things to see and are interesting to dive in their own unique way. No sites are really "better" than other sites; just different. Also, environmental conditions change at dive sites all the time and what one experiences and sees during ones dive is just that; a one time experience for that individual person at that one particular site. Let's stop comparing dive sites and just focus on the interesting features of each individual dive site instead.:D

I think my reports tend to stress this point. However, I can see where people spending alot of money and time into a dive trip to this region would want the best value for their money.

Am feeling that right now after a whirlwind tour of the dive sites in Thailand and Malaysia.. there is some differences but at the end of the day, its fish... fish... fish..

Having said that, it is also about the experience about being in a different place. Enjoying the sights, the resorts and the local beer. If your argument is true, why pay US$2000 for a week in Sipadan or Burma, when you can stay in Singapore and dive off the 3m vis waters in Pulau Hantu for S$80?

Ringo:
Hey Bowmouth - The Industry needs you! :unclesam:

I know, I know.....
But errrr, would the industry be willing to nourish, nurture and pay me?:D

Traminer:
If your argument is true, why pay US$2000 for a week in Sipadan or Burma, when you can stay in Singapore and dive off the 3m vis waters in Pulau Hantu for S$80?

I'm NOT saying that you shouldn't dive different places. I'm saying that each and every single site has its own beauty and interesting features and critters. Comparing dive sites is therefor imo useless.
How could you possibly compare a dive off the beach at Sentosa with a dive in Sipadan? For me that just doesn't work....:D

I understand your view and agree any dive is a good dive. But.... as others have mentioned when you are flying thousands of miles, spending hrs-days on planes and in airports (42hrs Seattle to PNG) comparisons help. Frankly we would not have spent the time or money to fly to PNG or Palau if it was the equivalent of diving say in Koa Samui. Diving in Koa Samui is great just not as good as PNG, IMHO. Without a doubt you can find individual dive sites in Samui that can compare to anywhere but if you are doing 5 dives a day x 10 days, will you have the overall experience you may have somewhere else? Like looking at art judging dive sites is very, very subjective but I do appreciate it when people try to give perspective between areas they have been.

Bowmouth:
Why do so many divers find it so important to compare this dive-site with that one and this place with that place? I mean, here in Asia one can basically drop anywhere in the water and have a great dive. No need to compare because all the sites have good things to see and are interesting to dive in their own unique way. No sites are really "better" than other sites; just different. Also, environmental conditions change at dive sites all the time and what one experiences and sees during ones dive is just that; a one time experience for that individual person at that one particular site. Let's stop comparing dive sites and just focus on the interesting features of each individual dive site instead.:D

Not sure what you mean by "stop comparing and focus on interesting features instead"?

I think it is very imortant to compare places to avoid disappointment when spending hard earned money on travelling half across the globe for a week or two of diving. And there are quite some difference between dive sites not only within Asia, but also within the asian countries and also in very local regions. What about Sipadan compared to Mabul?

Off course every type of diving has something to offer, but it is not always to each and everyones taste. I, for an example, am not particularly found of muck diving and would never spend an entire vaccation in such a location.

The problem is when people start to compare dive sites which are fundamentally different, like the example Sipadan vs Mabul. I have actually heard people compare them - which is the classic apples to oranges dilemma, even though there are only a short distance between them.

And some places just are better, because the reefs are healthier, there are more diversity and quantity of life etc. Well, they might not be better if you preffer dead coral and little fish, but for most people they are...

cheers

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom