Completely new to SCUBA and going to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. My biggest concern with Aqua safari is that all four of their open water dives are beach dives and a friend said boat dives would be more interesting. As I know nothing I'm stuck with relying on other people's opinions. Will I really miss out if I do 4 beach dives as opposed to 2 beach dives and two boat dives or will it all be so new that it doesn't matter?

Just got back from Coz in Dec. Dove 5 days out of 6. Some of my best pics are from my beach dives. Also my mom only snorkeled from the beaches while I was diving and she saw things I never saw on my boat dives. It's probably hit or miss and depends on your luck but we were happy everytime we got in the water!
(Oh, and I'm in LOVE with Dive House, they're right out front of the Fiesta Americana Hotel - very caring crew!)

Thanks for the responses. My biggest concern with Aqua safari is that all four of their open water dives are beach dives and a friend said boat dives would be more interesting. As I know nothing I'm stuck with relying on other people's opinions. Will I really miss out if I do 4 beach dives as opposed to 2 beach dives and two boat dives or will it all be so new that it doesn't matter?

The four dives for the open water on your referral are for the instructor to run you
through the paces and not for site seeing anyway unfortunately. Lol

A good friend of mine did his referral with Aqua Safari at what was then Plaza Las
Glorious back in 2000. The instructor was really good and thorough. We booked a
boat dive the next day after he finished and he had a chance to see the good stuff.
I have yet to dive with a shop down there that I would have any complaints about
so I expect that whoever you choose will take good care of you.

I did my open water at Pennecamp Reef Key Largo in 87 and I was so busy
paying attention to my instructor that I missed a 7 foot hammerhead that
cruised right behind me. You're just too busy during your first four tanks to
take in much of the scenery. There's plenty of time later for that anyway. :thumb:

A 2nd for Aldora here......Should be able to accomodate new divers, although they are geared up for ones 'further' along.......If you do consider them, you might to look @ Dora Villas(you can preview it from their website aldora.com), great place to stay---good snokling/shore diving from their wall........

make this a 3rd for ALDORA. We took our newly certified grandson diving and they sent out a extra dive master to stay with just him for no extra charge. Now I call that service. They will accommodate new divers. Anyway, our grandson did very well and everyone was so impressed with him and his diving skills. He cant wait to go back. As for the Aldora Villa it is a fantastic place to stay, you must check them out.

Hi Jared,

it´s a great idea to combine Playa and Cozumel.
We just started to offer exactly this kind of combinations on our web page.
I would recommend to you to finish your dive course first in Playa and then go for the great dives in Cozumel. In Playa you find the more easy dives.
I also think your choice of hotel is maybe great if you want to do kite surfing. For diving it is a little to far north.
The best dive spots are in the south and it´s a 45 minutes boat trip from your hotel I think.
If you are interested in a good offer for your referral course and dives in Playa and Cozumel...just contact me

dirk@divemex.net

or visit our page

DiveMex

Many greetings from Playa

Dirk

Simply enjoy diving...DiveMex

Sorry to jump in here but didn't want to start a new thread.......

What have the water temps been recently?

Wonder what they would be in March?

Chris

Sorry to jump in here but didn't want to start a new thread.......

What have the water temps been recently?

Wonder what they would be in March?

Chris

Christi covers this in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Chichen Itza IS a full day, but by far the best of the bunch (IMHO). The other ruins are kind of a let down after that. Coba, however, is the only one that you can still climb the temple and is my second favorite. I was lucky to go to Chichen Itza before they discontinued the climb! Tulum is just okay. It's uniqueness is the fact that it overlooks the water. Xceret is another good escape and had more variety than Xel Ha, to me.

As for diving in Coz...I always use Aqua Safari. They have always bent over backwards to meet my needs and were terrific with my boys last time. They hadn't been in the water in 2 years and got personal attention the entire time. Dive shops are all a matter of preference though and most seem to be very good and develop loyal followings. You WILL enjoy this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom