Compressor Rebuilt Service - Bad Odor n Poor Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you take trades? rather go $7000 and not have to think about it for a long time, than to go $3500 and have to constantly tinker. save some brain cell. for as little usage as i gotten out of this mch6. it is a PITA. only positive is that is was the lowest price compressor available. sadly sometimes you actually get what you pay for.

self filling is about convenience and was never cheap to begin with. so go big or go home.

-----

this mch6 maintaince and breaking down is getting old fast.
tell more about those larger mch13 and mch16. (let me know if you prefer PM instead?)

1) tell me about the continuous duty mch13 and mch16. can it be run 24/7 365?
2) tell me about the maintaince schedule. how much are the rebuilt kit? at how many hours?
3) tell me about functional. are the filters larger? last longer? can filters be self refill?
4) anything else i should know?

btw what do most smaller dive shop buy? considering that same caliber of compressor.

The MCH6 was never meant to be the compressor of choice for the hard core diver. It is perfect for the casual diver that does four to six dives per week. When it is being run regularly and maintenance is being performed properly, they actually last a long time.

The 13 and 16 are totally different animals. They were purpose built for hard core divers or dive shops. Because they can be powered by single phase, are rated for continuous duty and have a max pressure of 5000 psi, I have a LOT of dive shops and paintball fields that run them. There are a couple in FL that run them so much that they have to do the 500 hour valve change out just about every six weeks.

However, don't fall in love with that $7000 price tag unless you are getting a gas compressor with no options. Most people go electric and then add on all kinds of stuff like motor starter, auto drains, auto pressure shutdown, hour meter, etc.

The filter is a LOT larger than your MCH6 filter. Plus, you can get a "pack it yourself" can for it.

As for 24/7 running ... why? For the MCH13, that is about 150 tanks per day and if you have that many, you should invest in a MUCH bigger machine.

The MCH6 was never meant to be the compressor of choice for the hard core diver. It is perfect for the casual diver that does four to six dives per week. When it is being run regularly and maintenance is being performed properly, they actually last a long time.

The 13 and 16 are totally different animals. They were purpose built for hard core divers or dive shops. Because they can be powered by single phase, are rated for continuous duty and have a max pressure of 5000 psi, I have a LOT of dive shops and paintball fields that run them. There are a couple in FL that run them so much that they have to do the 500 hour valve change out just about every six weeks.

However, don't fall in love with that $7000 price tag unless you are getting a gas compressor with no options. Most people go electric and then add on all kinds of stuff like motor starter, auto drains, auto pressure shutdown, hour meter, etc.

The filter is a LOT larger than your MCH6 filter. Plus, you can get a "pack it yourself" can for it.

As for 24/7 running ... why? For the MCH13, that is about 150 tanks per day and if you have that many, you should invest in a MUCH bigger machine.

I am what I would consider to be a fairly active diver I am in the water about 8 dives per week using a mix of Lp 85 to Hp 130's and I am very satisfied with my max air 35. I have the gas model and it is my experience that if you take care of the the tool it will take care of you. I have 35 hours on mine and have done 3 oil changes on the compressor and 2 on the Honda motor I believe I have used about 4 filters and I drain my moister off every 10 minutes every time . Unless I am mistaken I am a little early on every service item but I would prefer to be early and never late. Late means you run the risk of dong the 100 hour service way early. I also wonder about how hard on a compressor is it for them to sit for weeks between usages. Mine is pumping every 7 to 9 days so it doesn't have an opportunity to get lazy. Would I have been happier with the next one up @ 7,000 heck yes but would I have a compressor today if I had heck no. I bought the best I could pay cash for and I love it. Nice compressor and I hope to have it for many many pumping hours to come

I also wonder about how hard on a compressor is it for them to sit for weeks between usages. Mine is pumping every 7 to 9 days so it doesn't have an opportunity to get lazy.

That is perfect for these little guys. Their fourth stage sits in the bottom and the piston is oil quenched. Compressor oil that sits for too long can separate any water that has been emulsified it in. That water will go straight to the 4th stage and start rusting the valve plate, spring, cylinder and piston. I always stress changing the oil any time you are going to put one to bed for longer than a couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom