GUE Fundamentals Report, weekend 1 of 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaInChicago

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A couple of friends and I thought we should try taking fundies before the end of the year. We wanted to take it locally around the Chicago area with conditions similar to the Great Lakes with water temps ranging to low 30's through mid 50's where we do most of our diving. We were fortunate to find Ed Gabe who agreed to make the drive up from Lexington, Kentucky for the very reasonable cost of travel, lodging expenses, and the course itself. Ed also agreed to split the class into two weekends to accommodate the three of our work schedules.

In fairness to my teammates I will refer to our group individually as divers A, B, & C in no particular order till either the class is over or they come forward and identify themselves.

Day 1, Weekend 1

Day 1 starts with the task of traveling to Haigh Quarry which is about an hour South of Chicago. Logistically with diver "A" not owning a vehicle and diver "B" leaving straight from work left diver "A" on public transportation for an hour till driver "C" could pick him up near "C's" home. I can only imagine the looks diver "A" got with a full set of tech gear in a mesh bag along with steel doubles on the train.

We all arrive a bit early to get Starbucks and arrive at the quarry for fills before the class. We meet Ed Gabe and immediately find that he is very down to earth, humble, and never made mention to what an accomplished diver he is.. Not till we put him on the hot seat later do we get some of the details of the extensive training he has gone through

We started our class with the normal paperwork, lectures, and goals of the class. We then went over the gear, hose routing, and suggested modifications. No mention was made to the particular make of the equipment; in fact 2 of the 3 of us had no Halcyon gear minus one P-Valve. I figured it best to leave the tank banger with snap bolt properly attached to the trunk of my car for the class. We went over the protocols for the "Basic 5", "S drills ", and "Valve drills" while on land.

With the diving getting underway we go over the gas analysis and pre-dive checklist. We hit the water and went over propulsion techniques and practiced for a little while. We did well with some better than others (divers "B" & "C" had committed to DIR/GUE philosophy and had a few months of practice for the upcoming drills and situational awareness). We surfaced, talked a bit and went back down to attempt the elusive back kick and helicopter turns. Again everyone did well, even diver "A" was able to pull off a halfway descent back kick.

Back on land we debrief a bit and break for lunch, diver "B" brought his lunch and stayed behind to kiss up to Ed's while divers "A" & "B" went to Wendy's.

We reconvened to go over the goals for the next dive and do another run trough of the GUE-EDGE. We then got in the water and start hammering out some drills and darkness began to fall. We surfaced, gathered our gear and hit Subway for dinner where diver "C" attempts to bribe Ed with a sandwich in exchange for a tech pass. The evenings video debrief took place at our hotel on our rooms 1980's Hi Def tube television. Ed was very good at giving constructive criticism on the shortfalls of our day's performance. After Ed left we did our own debrief and were all happy with the productivity of the day.

Day 2, Weekend 1

We woke up at 6:45 and got ready for our swim test, we've all been dreading the timed 300 yard swim. We went to a local fitness center and paid our $20.00 admission fee and asked Ed about every loophole we could conceive to make the swim easier. We jumped in the water and just went at it. Diver "A" paced himself and finished in 10 min while divers "B" & "C" speed through finishing less than 8 min each. We couldn't believe how much we had psyched ourselves out on the swim test. After completing the all of the pool test and spending all of 45 minutes at the facility, diver "C" asked the girl at the desk for a refund, stating it was the worst gym experience he ever had and started to laugh giving away the joke.

We all stopped at Starbucks again and got our morning dose of caffeine before getting to the quarry and getting our gear ready for day 2. At the quarry we were surprised to see a couple of veteran GUE diver's Tom (b1gcounty) and Duane (ppo2_diver) who both volunteered to shoot video of our class.

We did our gas analysis, pre-dive check, and ran down the GUE-EDGE. In the water we started by doing a few maskless swims and making our way to a platform to perform some drills. After a short in water SI and traveling to another platform, we did a unified decent and did a couple more drills and then navigated over to a training wreck/ platform to do some more ascents and descents. On the third time up and down diver "A" got a reverse block and started getting vertigo at 20'. The thumb was given to end the training and everyone rushed in to help diver "A" get his bearings and come safely to the surface adding 2-3 minutes to the planned ascent. Although we didn't discuss this later, this last drill really hit home the idea of unified ascent and descents where your buddy is watching over you and thinking 3 steps ahead to problem solve the situation before snowballing out of control.

Out of the water, gear shed, and stomachs empty we broke for lunch. Diver "A" was feeling better and his ear popped relieving an unpleasant pressure. The fast food restaurant of choice for day 2 was Arby's. I must say that after reading a few reports from others, I'm reconsidering taking further classes near better restaurants.

Preparing our gear once again with fresh fills, we start our habit forming pre-dive checks and head in to practice one of the hardest drills yet, the backup light deployment. Who would have thought this would cause any hiccups. Diver "A" got a little wrapped up in his light cord, Diver "B" does good but stows his light which later comes on. Diver "C" looses touch of his bungee and has to call in diver "B" to finish the stow before getting too frustrated. It's all on tape and none of us would have thought we would have done so poorly.

At the surface Duane had hit 600 PSI and leaves the water solo and leaves Tom to take video. We ask if we can do some bag deployment drills so we could receive some outside input and add it to the list of things to practice during the week. Diver "A" couldn't set the bar any lower, his finger gets caught in the reel and is dragged up about 8 feet before getting his finger out and loosing the spool. Diver "C" does everything right but because his head is down he's not paying attention to divers "A" and "B" which could have been a perfect time for a failure. Diver "B" uses his dainty little half breath SMB and does fine.

On the surface again, we set up a projector on a dry erase board inside one of the facilities on site and do the video debrief. We went over things to work on during the week, what a nice laundry list. We all received very fair criticism of the strong and weak points of our performance which all of us could tell had improved in just the two days with Ed.

All of the skills were ones that we have been practicing for a while, with Ed's input we could clearly see where and why we needed the refinement. We could see how the skills would make task loading and failures much less stressful and to the point of routine.

All of us really enjoyed the first part of the class and are eagerly anticipating next weeks challenges and becoming thinking divers while doing it. Tom and Duane deserve a big THANK YOU for taking the time out to dive with some newbie's and proving that there are few if any DIR/GUE divers that fit the negative stereotype that has been portrayed online.

I would also like to thank many of you reading this; in general everyone has helped along the way by contributing online and giving informative information on gear selection and setup.

-Dan

Last edited:
Here's my report I posted somewhere else earlier in the day. I think you'll find it very similar to Dan's with him remembering a bit more than me because of how exhausted I was for day 1. I also wanted to thank Duane and Tom for coming out. It has to be kind of boring just watching us do basic drills over a platform.

I'd also like to emphasize what Dan said, even though I've been a GUE "follower" pretty much since I started diving I've never formally taken one of their classes. The class so far has reinforced my experiences which seems to differ greatly from some things I've read here. Ed is a great guy, never condescending, arragant, or rude. A matter of fact I think he handled the three of us (all smart ass') much better than I ever could have. Anyone afraid to take a GUE class because of things they've read online is sorely missing out on some of the highest level of training I believe you could recieve. :cool2:

Fundies Day 1 & 2 Overview
A group of us just finished up the first two days of GUE fundamentals with Instructor Ed Gabe. The course is happening at Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL. The class was kind of put together last minute as originally I was planning on taking it in spring. Ed lives in Kentucky and fortunately enough we were able to make all of our schedules work. We scheduled the class over two weekends due to work. Unfortunately I got off work at 7am on the first day of class with a total of about two hours of sleep. We ended up starting at 9am after we got tank fills and lots of coffee. Before I go any further two of the three of us in the class have done a decent amount of diving with another instructor that is fundies trained and teaches DIR, so we had an idea of what the class was going to be like.

The morning of day 1 consisted of getting to know each other a bit, talking about what our goals are in diving, what the standards are for fundamentals, and a brief lecture on GUE, team diving, and some skills we will be shown in divers later in the day. Even though I had seen most of the propulsion techniques before Ed’s enthusiastic teaching method taught me a few things I had never picked up on before that really helped me tighten things up a bit. All three of us are looking for a tech pass, so that means full tech gear- doubles, dry suits, can light, etc. and a stricter standard. Two of the three of us are diving HP100’s and I’m in 130’s. After the lecture we had lunch and then went over equipment, including the pre-dive check “GUE-EDGE”. For the most part all of us were pretty squared away with no major changes necessary. Ed was able to explain all the equipment requirements and provide sound reasons on why they exist. (Not once did I hear because you’ll die LOL) Day 1 was rainy, and mid-forties for the majority of the morning. Water temperatures were in the mid to low 50’s. Luckily enough shortly after our first dive the skies parted and the sun came out. Our first dives consisted of going over different propulsion techniques- frog, modified frog, flutter, modified flutter, helicopter turn, and back kick. We then went over the basic 5, and S drills. I don’t quite remember how many dives we did- 4 or 5, but after every one Ed did an in-water critique and gave us tips on how to improve, all the way down to the smallest of details. We had all used these propulsion methods before but Ed was really able to break them down and teach us little things to help our technique that would make a big difference in the long run. The in-water session of day 1 finished when we ran out of day light. A video review then took place at our hotel after grabbing some food, which really helped enforce what Ed was explaining during his in-water critiques. He also to give us more pointers on what we were doing right or wrong and how we could do them more efficiently. We had finally finished up at 10pm and after not getting much sleep the night before I was exhausted.

Day 2 started at 8am at the local fitness center for the 300m swim test, and 50’ breath hold. The swim test must be completed in less than 14 minutes and none of us had a problem, although there was a fair amount of anxiety beforehand. I believe we finished in 7:40, 8:00, and 10:00. After the swim test we headed back to the quarry (after a mandatory stop at starbucks for more coffee). Luckily the weather was much milder on day 2 with highs in the mid to high 50s and sunshine for the majority of the day. We got into the water right away after another “GUE-EDGE” to finish off our gas from yesterday and began again with propulsion techniques, the basic 5, S drill, and added the valve drill, and ascent/descent drill. These also went moderately well with all of us able to complete the tasks without killing each other. We then got air fills and had lunch while Ed gave us a dive debriefing. After lunch we did some work with back-up lights and also a no-mask swim, both of which went pretty well. We then spent some time working on S drills, valve drills, and finally an SMB deployment/ascent drill. After we got our gear put away we did another video review finishing up around 7:15.

During the last two days Ed has always let us know where we’re at, and really based on doing the skills it was easy to grade ourselves. So far I’m really impressed with the class and Ed’s teaching method. I have already spoken to my girlfriend about taking this class next year in recreational gear as there is still a whole lot to benefit for someone that has no interest in pursuing technical diving. Personally I believe this course should replace AOW as the skills taught in fundamentals really will make you a much better diver. In the last two days I feel my S drills (something we often practice) have gotten 10 times better and my comfort level doing them is much higher. Days 3 and 4 begin next weekend with more task loading promised. We’re going to try and sneak in a practice dive during the week to try and shore up some things in our S drill and valve drills. Meanwhile I’m stuck at work now, exhausted… I can’t wait to be able to go back to bed. Day 3 and 4 reviews to come…

-Nick

Last edited:
My report is soon to come dan got a bit confused with his lettering for the smb drill but that's ok :wink:

Your right, I just hit the edit button and changed it. Were you trying to take credit for the 3.3 lb smb????:rofl3:

You guys really like your Starbucks. Maybe you should look into some endorsements; take the nitrox wraps off your tank, and put some of those cup holder thingies on instead :wink:

We meet Ed Gabe and immediately find that he is very down to earth, humble, and never made mention to what an accomplished diver he is.. Not till we put him on the hot seat later do we get some of the details of the extensive training he has gone through.

Ed is a great guy, never condescending, arragant, or rude. A matter of fact I think he handled the three of us (all smart ass') much better than I ever could have.

He was obviously on good behavior for the class. Just be careful on the smart @$$ part, Ed has a good memory.

We surfaced, gathered our gear and hit Subway for dinner where diver "C" attempts to bribe Ed with a sandwich in exchange for a tech pass.

If you head back to Subway, ask him to do his "Five-Dollar Footlong" Dance. It was the highlight of our Fundies class.

At the quarry we were surprised to see a couple of veteran GUE diver's Tom (b1gcounty) and Duane (ppo2_diver) who both volunteered to shoot video of our class.

Tom and Duane deserve a big THANK YOU for taking the time out to dive with some newbie's and proving that there are few if any DIR/GUE divers that fit the negative stereotype that has been portrayed online.

You are very welcome, although, I'm not completely sure if 'Veteran' really applies to someone who holds a Fundies card from two years ago. Anytime I'm in the water, I'm having fun. Watching you guys was a good refresher too. To be honest, I forgot what the Basic 5 even were.

Before I go any further two of the three of us in the class have done a decent amount of diving with another instructor that is fundies trained and teaches DIR, so we had an idea of what the class was going to be like.

Duane?

We will have to meet up for some Big Lake dives next season. Hopefully it will be a lot calmer on the lake than this year. I've got a big trip up to Mackinaw scheduled for next August if you're interested.

Good luck next week!

Tom

Duane?

We will have to meet up for some Big Lake dives next season. Hopefully it will be a lot calmer on the lake than this year. I've got a big trip up to Mackinaw scheduled for next August if you're interested.

Good luck next week!

Tom

Yup, I was lucky enough to meet up with Duane around dive number 12 so he brainwashed.. oops I mean taught me correctly pretty much from the start. :D I'm always interested in Lake dives!!! We were talking about trying to hit the east coast in august we'll have to see how schedules play out.

well i guess it is time to start taking classes with Duane then.....hopefully next year i'll have the finances to do more classes.....

well i guess it is time to start taking classes with Duane then.....hopefully next year i'll have the finances to do more classes.....

You won't be disappointed.

After doing some practice dives today I now feel like last weekend was all luck and we're doomed to be deemed "Unsafe Divers" LOL:confused::popcorn::rofl3::D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom