compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to fill my own tanks. I am looking for a electric compressor. Does any body recommend any?

Scott =-)

Depends on what you need in terms of capacity and single phase versus three phase.

Personally, if you are in the market for a small 3.5 to 4 cu ft compressor, I feel a gas powered compressor is more versatile as you can take it with you and are not dependent on the avilability of an electrical outlet.

While a gas compressor may be more vesatile they have to many drawbacks in my opinion. I always recommend the electric models when ever possible. Electric models are much quieter, have less vibration, less maintenence requirements and no worries about Carbon Monoxide. With the ALKIN electric models you can carry on a normal conversation while filling tanks.
I sell about 10 electric models for every gas powered model. Most of the gas powered models have the Honda motors but I have one in stock with the new Entec Briggs & Stratton motor on it. I like it better than the Hondas now, starts first pull almost every time. Both the Honda and the Briggs are very loud, I can not tell any difference there.
If you do decide to go with a gas powered model go to Home Depot and get a intake hose assembly to get the fresh air intake as far away as possible from the exhaust. I include them on all my gas powered breathing air compressors. Change your purifier cartridges like clockwork when required. You should do that anyway but of course more critical with the gas models (all brands)
In the long run the electric models are more cost effective and safer in my opinion. Best Regards, Curly

I have a compressor that I have been using for many years. It originaly was electric but I converted it to gas many years ago. The electric motor was 230 volts which made it hard to travel with because of finding a place to plug it in plus the gas engine is lighter. And you can run it on a boat that doesn't have a generator If you go gas, and I would if I were you, check the wind direction and set the compressor motor down wind from the compressor intake. I have never used an intake hose and have never had a problem but its not a bad idea. The big plus is you will be free of the LDS.

Captain

I bought the alkin and am happy with it so far.

Thanks for the help!

Scott =-)

Bauer Junior.

I think thats how it's spelled. Supposed to be excellent for the money.

otherwise ring some comprssor service place and talk to them. They usually are in the know about places selling their old comprssors. Most clubs will upgrade their comprssors when they get old, but they are still more than able to perform for personal use.

One point is you will have to get the comprssor serviced, buy filters and generally replace parts. You'd want to be doing a fair bit of diving to make this back.

I have one and like it plenty.

My only complaint is that I wish it was twice as fast as it is :)

ScubaKris,

First of all this thread is from 2003 and the original poster mentions that he already has one.

2nd your link doesn't work.

Aloha,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom