computer or no computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would definitely suggest diving with a computer. I started with gages (1976) and was reluctant to take an electronic dvive underwater. I have about 600 dives on my computers with very few (3) problems. I like air integrated consoles, again because I do not want a "radio station" underwater with my "computer". During my Assistant Instructor course I reviewed many of my dive profiles against what I could have planned using dive tables and found that there is a TREMENDOUS advantage in dive flexibility and depth/duration that is provided by a computer. In my Open Water Instructor course I am reviewing my recent dive profiles using the PADI eRDPml, the electronic replacement for the dive tables in single and multi-level format. I have found that my computer still provides superior flexibility. Look around at your next dive to see who has planned their dive using a table, noted it on their slate, and then dove their plan. I think you may find few table divers, many computer divers, and still fewer table divers that will stick to their plan when their buddy is diving a computer.

Hey everyone....

I have a buddy that is a tec diver and says that computers are useless and fail all the time. ...Thanks
Darian

As Damselfish said I would question where your buddy is getting his statistics from that allow him to make such blanket statements.

I have a Aeris ATMOS AI that is 6 years old and has never failed.
My wife and daughter have the same computer and have not had any problems with them whatsoever.

The only dive computer failures I have heard of within our dive club have been due to not tightening the battery compartment fully after replacing the battery. The other computer died because the instructor unfortunately got distracted and left his computer in direct sunlight on a picnic table for several hours. The sun did a number on the LCD panel.

I have a buddy that is a tec diver and says that computers are useless and fail all the time. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I see that you've disregarded the "advice" from your "buddy" now, and probably have your new computer in hand. Good on 'ya - you'll enjoy it.

As all the rest of the enlightened posters have already said, I'll just echo that computers are the way to go. Sure, anything electronic can fail, but it's highly unlikely, and even if it does, it's not the end of the world. I dive with my Galileo Luna and my Oceanic Datamask, sometimes both at once.

Drag that "buddy" kickin' and screamin' into the 21st century.

Look around at your next dive to see who has planned their dive using a table, noted it on their slate, and then dove their plan. I think you may find few table divers, many computer divers, and still fewer table divers that will stick to their plan when their buddy is diving a computer.

Ditto that.

Imho, the vast majority of today's divers started diving with computers from the moment they first hit the pool and haven't looked at a dive table since their OW certification final exam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom