Computer Problem: Oceanic Veo .. Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've had an Oceanic Veo computer for maybe 2 yrs. It seems to work well and I really like how you can set it up to assume that subsequent dives are made using the same mix as the previous dive. I used to hate the older computer that would always revert to 50% by default and would screw your dive up and give you an oxygen violation... for a simple error.

Anyway this is what i have (I think)

Oceanic "Veo 180" Air/Nitrox Dive Computer SWIV Double Gauge Combo

Today I was pissed. Did 2 nitrox dives and computer worked fine and I came close to no-deco limit. Jumped in on my third dive and was down for 10 minutes and decided i should take a peak at the computer... DEAD.. Blank screen....

I figured it had leaked water due to a battery change maybe 10 dives ago.. for the next dive, I pressed the button and the computer seemed to boot up fine!!!??? I really didn't pay attention to it, since it was a super shallow dive 15-20 feet.

I took it to the dive shop today to ask for help... A very knowledgable instructor knew immediately.. this computer will basically turn off after an hour and if you enter the water without "waking it up"... It just stays off... Is that not absolutely ridiculous?

To make a very long story short... The instructor played with my computer and adjusted a setting to now allow instant on..or authomatic start up when the computer descends after being "asleep". I had no idea this was a setting.. I haven't looked at the manual in a long time...

FYI.. could really screw up a day of diving..

Does that have a wet activation feature?

If so, is it turn on? My TUSA element and Veo 1.0 NX has the same wet activation and it turns on when the contacts are, well, wet :wink:

Looking at a veo 1.0 and will have to make sure this is set up correctly. I typically do not
use the water activation although many people do. My aeris stayed on one time for a week
or longer without shutting down. I blamed it on the setting but was never really sure.
I tried out a suunto integrated a few weeks back and in the short time I was gearing up
went into sleep mode or something. probably one button to wake up but not really something
I would expect to need to do after booting up for the first time. I was really testing out the
aqualung legend regulator but the suunto was hooked up to the rig so I used it all. Regulator
breathed great and was very light...I digress. Be sure to change that battery hatch cover every
few years and make sure no signs of moisture inside hatch cover. I replaced two covers in eight years
on my aeris. I would replace more often after I saw the damage that can be caused by just a small amount
of saltwater in the battery compartment. It may not enter the computer but if the contacts are trashed
you're looking at an expensive repair or exchange.

Back
Top Bottom