Computer to meet MY NEEDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coleraindiver

Registered
Reaction score
Starting with a DISCLAIMER: I did research the forum and found bits and pieces of information but not enough to feel comfortable with a decision that needs to be made FAST!

If I want to invest in a Dive Computer and I am strongly leaning toward a watch style (unless you can tell me reason to steer away form a watch) my primary reasons are:

1) Ease of downloading to a PC to keep dive information and pictures in a log for future reference
2) Not breaking “THE BANK”
3) Something I will be to use as diving skills and as I grow/learn more about diving will be still useful

I need to purchase soon for a trip planned in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately your needs as stated here are a bit vague.
1) Most models currently for sale have this ability.
2) This is somewhat subjective - what might be cheap to one person might be dear to another. Think about the long term cost per dive. Will you realistically be diving more than once a year on a holiday? If you plan on diving every few weekends locally your interest in reliablity goes up. If on the other hand you'll only dive on that 2 week once a year vacation, than you might want to consider a low end model. Computers get better every year, so in a few years you'll probably upgrade to something else if you're serious. As others are likely to point out, getting good with tables is a usefull skill.
3) Again, a realistic assement of what you want to do in diving is helpful. Since your profile is a bit blank as to your background I'll make the assumption you have the basic OW cert and nothing beyond. I'd guess you'll want to dive Nitrox eventually. This would mean you'd want a Nitrox capable computer. I think most if not all new models for sale today have this feature.

If you can afford a Dive Rite Nitrox Duo $389, I think you'll be happy with it for a very long time. It yeilds conservative profiles, comparable to the NDL profiles on the SUUNTO's, but has nice easy to use nitrox features. As well as deco diving and gas switching. The battery is user replaceable, easy to read underwater etc.
If thats too spendy take a look at the SUUNTO Mosquito it's a bit cheaper, the nitrox menu is more of a pain it's not as long lasting yada yada, but to some extent you will get what you pay for.

I understand Your vagueness comment. I like to stay under $500 but under $400 would be even greater. As to my future, I like to get my Advaanced Water and find my niche in diving that thrills my sense of Adventure but what is that niche? I really do not know. It seems after even more research I have found Mares Nemo Air/Nitrox Computer watch, Aeris XR2 Air/Nitrox Computer watch and Mosquito.

The Suunto Mosquito is a nice little computer, Nitrox capable, downloadable, and relatively inexpensive. It also has the nice quality that you can wear it during your dive trip as your watch. The only problem I had with mine is that I have old eyes, and found the display hard to read, particularly in low light conditions. We still use them as backup computers on dive trips, although Peter is now using my Vytec, and I've upgraded to an Aladin Tec2G.

I use the Oceanic ProPlus2 and a Citizen Aqualand as a backup. The PP2 has large numbers, easy to read and great customer service.

For your price range you might consider a Sensus Ultra. It is compact, durable and downloadable. Many here swear by it.

If you're really trying to work on a budget, stay away from the daily wear wristwatch type computer. Comparing within a given manufactures line, the scubapro extender (watch) is priced around $700 whereas the aladin prime (puck type) is around $400. The two units are functionally similar, the prime is substantially larger, with a correspondingly larger display, making it easier to read.

I have the Mares M2. Inexpensive and does nitrox. (under $200) Smallish display but readable. I'm a vacation diver so this suits my needs. If I get more involved with diving It will become my backup.

Starting with a DISCLAIMER: I did research the forum and found bits and pieces of information but not enough to feel comfortable with a decision that needs to be made FAST!

If I want to invest in a Dive Computer and I am strongly leaning toward a watch style (unless you can tell me reason to steer away form a watch) my primary reasons are:

1) Ease of downloading to a PC to keep dive information and pictures in a log for future reference
2) Not breaking “THE BANK”
3) Something I will be to use as diving skills and as I grow/learn more about diving will be still useful

I need to purchase soon for a trip planned in 2 weeks.
I dont see a question here.

I cannot recommend Oceanic/ Aeris highly enough! The Pro Plus 2 is what both of my parents use. It is an air integrated Console.
A similar watch style would be either the Atom/ Epic or the VT3/ don't know the Aeris name. Both styles are hoseless Air Integrated (AI) wrist computers

All of these will take you as far as you want to go recreationally. They may, However, be out of your price range at around $850 for the Pro Plus 2 and about $900 for the wrist styles.

If AI is overkill then I recommend either the Oceanic Geo which I have for $300, or the Mares Nemo Wide because it is the "easiest to use wrist computer out there" according to my Mares rep. -maybe just a tad biased but as his shop also deals with the big name lines of AquaLung/ Suunto and ScubaPro/ Uwatec, supposedley the best, I trust his opinion.

This is an Oceanic link to read about each computer's key points. Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear Your profile doesn't have a location. but we are in the pittsburgh area. Our website is in the signature block below. We don't have an online cart set up yet, but we will make you great deals.

When I purchased my computer I intentionally steered away from the 'watch style' only because I was afraid I might lose it during a dive. I know members of my club that are on their 'second' computer with the first one on the bottom of Lake Ontario or the Brockville and Kingston wrecks. Mine is an older Mares Airlab that has really withstood a lot of rough and tumble with no ill effects. The display could be larger and I have seen newer models in the Mares line that have addressed this problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom