Computer wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an old Oceanic Data Plus that has served me well for many years. It has occurred to me that this thing is probably due for a failure just because of age. The desktop interface I have is no longer supported and I see a trend there.

What I like about this computer is:
It does data logging including temperature.
The bar graph N2 loading and O2 displays are easy to figure out.
It is a standard round module so it can fit anywhere.
The batteries are something I can buy at any Radio Shack and replace myself.
It makes no sounds.

What I do not like about this computer is:
I can not get the temperatures of the last dive without downloading.
It does not have a real-time clock.
It has no guage mode.
The logging interval is based on depth changes, I would prefer a fixed time interval.
I dread driving it into mandatory deco since it becomes a bit cryptic.

If I were to design one from the ground up, the computer would be much thinner than a standard module and would come with a spacer to make it fit a console. There would also be a wrist mount available that would take advantage of the thinner case. These old eyes are unlikely to want the face to be any smaller.

I do like the single button on this computer, although I could be talked into a two button unit.

Has anyone here seen anything like that?

Yup, Oceanic VT Pro or if you want wait for the new VT-3 (coming eartly next year)

Current VT PRO
p_computers_vtpro2.jpg

Or the new VT-3
p_computers_vt33.jpg

Well, except for the wanting to mount in a console part, I think the TUSA IQ-800 would otherwise fill your bill. It even uses the same battery as your Oceanic Data Plus.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IQ800

http://www.tusa.nl/cataloque/tusa_diving/consoles/iq-800.htm

If Round it need be, then maybe the TUSA IQ-700 (which I have and really like). However, I don't think all the audible alarms can be disabled - the ppO2 alarms and ascent rate alarm are 'always on' AFAIK. You also sacrifice thinness of case for roundness of case. I didn't think the newer Pelagic round DC's that can be either wrist or console mounted were any thinner than the old Data Plus either though. And the VT Pro etc. all have audible alarms listed as a feature - I personally don't know if they can all be user disabled, but I'll bet that's not a feature.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=IQ700

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=sca343

We have two Oceanic Data Plus units, but I'm going to send them to some friends who moved to St. Croix this year and have enrolled in certification classes there - this should provide great goodwill when we go visit them next year.

We now use Dive Rite and / or TUSA dive computers with the Buhlmann algorithm as opposed to the Pelagic use of a Haldanean algorithm - just a personal choice thing. If there was a two-mix N2/O2 version of the IQ-800, it would be a 'must-have' for me, but until then, I'm using the IQ-700 and a NiTek3.

MikeCochran:
You might checkout the new EMC-14 at DiveCochran.com

Mike,

I've looking at the EMC-14 gauge and I have a couple of questions. The first is how hard would it be to add a feature where you can hit a button at any part of the dive and have the gauge average your depth for a certain portion of the dive? Not like the Uwatec where it averages your depth throughout the entire dive(which is useless, but for only a certain portion of the dive. Also, is it possible to make them read depth beyond 328' for a unit that small, or does it need a larger transducer that won't currently fit into the EMC-14 housing?

Thanks,

MikeCochran:
You might checkout the new EMC-14 at DiveCochran.com

What are the alarm features & options on this model? I didn't see any verbiage on that when I went to the web site mentioned. When we first got our Nitrox certs, the dive shop we got that instruction through informed us at that time they sold Cochran because they wouldn't typically let folks dive with them without a dive computer that had audible alarms - that was a number of years ago, and they didn't require we trade in our Data Plus DC's and purchase a Cochran to get Nitrox certified, but they recommended this.

Scott,
I didn't get whether you meant averaging on-the-fly at depth or later after the dive. If after the dive, our Analyst software allow you to bracket an area of your dive and see the averade depth, temp, A/R, PO2, FO2, whatever. If during the dive, the EMC-14 has no buttons. It is our newest, lowest cost unit and the Audible Alarm had to go. If still interested, the manual can be downloaded from our Website.
Regards,
Mike

WWD,
Oops, I might have mixed my replys to you and Scott, my apologies. I'll get it straight, soon. Anyway, the manual can be downloaded from our Website and I think there is a listing of the various alarms. We're working on a Power Point for this, but can't promise when it gets posted.
Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I was actually talking on the fly averaging that could be activated for a certain portion of the dive during the dive. For a lot of our dives we use depth averaging to determine a deco profile for a given dive. And though it's fairly simply to do on the fly, it would be nice to have a bottom timer with that function. I know there have been others who have expressed an interest in such a feature, so that's why I was wondering how hard it would be to incorporate something like that.

MikeCochran:
WWD,
Oops, I might have mixed my replys to you and Scott, my apologies. I'll get it straight, soon. Anyway, the manual can be downloaded from our Website and I think there is a listing of the various alarms. We're working on a Power Point for this, but can't promise when it gets posted.
Regards,
Mike

Here's the most info I can find on the web site mentioned - nothing I can find on alarms or owner's manual downloads for this model (EMC-14). I did check the FAQ's, and Product Comparisons links.

http://www.divecochran.com/computers/EMC-14/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom