Configuring Apeks WTX for single tank with backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lautmaschine

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently took advantage of Aqualung Canada's BC trade-in program and purchased a WTX harness, WTX3 donut wing and the steel backplate.

There seems to be at least 4 ways to set up the wing, harness and plate for single tank use:

1) Slip backplate directly into the pouch. This is covered in the manual, but it doesn't appear to really take full advantage of the plate, since nothing is actually attached to it. It's just ballast.
2) Bolt the wing, plate and harness together using an STA. Again, covered in the manual, but I'm not interested in an STA.
3) Attach the wing to the backplate using the tank bands. Covered in the manual, but it doesn't explain how the plate/wing is then attached to the WTX harness. I assume you could use bolts through the grommets.
4) Same as 3 above, but instead of using bolts, weave the tank bands through the harness. Ie, the bands hold the wing, plate and harness together. The manual does not describe this setup.

So, my question is does anyone have experience with either 3 or 4? If so, how well does it work for you?

Thanks!

I have a 2 friends that also took advantage of the WTX special. They tried different ways and they both went with Aluminum STAs...had them made for $75 cash each. This enabled them to switch from twins to single easily. Let me know if you need one. I think I know they guy who made them.
Good Luck
U/O

Thanks. I wasn't considering an STA, largely because I don't need to switch from singles to doubles.

Today I rigged the plate, wing and harness together using the tank bands, as I describe above in option 4. It seems nice and stable, but I haven't taken it for a dive yet this way.

Any updates on this configuration? I'd like to use the backplate for ballast inside the harness.

I use an SS plate with an SS STA with my WTX Harness / Hog 32lb wing. It works well. I could probably get away without the STA, but it adds weight and makes the tank rock solid.

@Hashime: What STA do you use? How long are the bolts? I have a deep outdoors STA but the bolts stop just short of going all the way through the harness and the backplate so the wing nut wont catch the threads very well. Maybe I need a different nut on the end that can fit in the riveted hole much like the backplate screws do???

Would be great if folks could post pictures of their WTX setups on this thread (hijack in progress).

Thanks,
Adrian

I use an SS plate with an SS STA with my WTX Harness / Hog 32lb wing. It works well. I could probably get away without the STA, but it adds weight and makes the tank rock solid.

I use #3 and find it very secure with steel tanks. I also dive it without the plate and am just has satisfied with it. It is a great BC for semi serious Teckie types divers. I never liked STA's due to moving the tank too far (for me) off of my back. You can have fun dialing that rig in, so don't get any negative thoughts about it. I like your wing. Hated the Apeks wings, way to floppy.

I recently took advantage of Aqualung Canada's BC trade-in program and purchased a WTX harness, WTX3 donut wing and the steel backplate.

There seems to be at least 4 ways to set up the wing, harness and plate for single tank use:

1) Slip backplate directly into the pouch. This is covered in the manual, but it doesn't appear to really take full advantage of the plate, since nothing is actually attached to it. It's just ballast.
2) Bolt the wing, plate and harness together using an STA. Again, covered in the manual, but I'm not interested in an STA.
3) Attach the wing to the backplate using the tank bands. Covered in the manual, but it doesn't explain how the plate/wing is then attached to the WTX harness. I assume you could use bolts through the grommets.
4) Same as 3 above, but instead of using bolts, weave the tank bands through the harness. Ie, the bands hold the wing, plate and harness together. The manual does not describe this setup.

So, my question is does anyone have experience with either 3 or 4? If so, how well does it work for you?

Thanks!

Sorry just bought WTX with AL backplate. I can fasten wing to harness with button screws and then secure wing to harness with two additional screws. Is this ok regarding safe fixing and harness wear and tear?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom