Confused about the whole Snorkel thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the third time I dumped the air in my BC and descended with my snorkel in my mouth instead of my regulator I decided I was not responsible enough to use a snorkel.
Think I only did that twice at most, so maybe I'm responsible enough? Must say that when I have to strap it on to assist a course I have to wiggle it around enough so it doesn't annoy me.

Maybe, just maybe, the original poster should try diving with and without a snorkel and see if he misses it. It's benefits might outweigh the negatives, or not. Try and see.

I dive with a snorkel on all my OW dives. I like the added safety of having one available if a long surface swim is required, as I like to be able to look at my underwater surroundings. I use one of the dry snorkels with the hard plastic tubes, but as I understand the added drag that such snorkels cause when attached to your mask, I use a small nylon cable tie to make a "ring" around the tube, below the upper mushroom drain valve. When not in use, the snorkel is attached to my BC via a D-ring. I leave the snorkel-keep attached to my mask strap, so I only need to snap it into place for use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom