Confused about the whole Snorkel thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never dived in a quarry. And I hardly ever snorkel.

Do you have more unbased assumptions?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

The YOU was a more corporate YOU and not a personal YOU. I don't know YOU (personal) from Adam's house cat. Anything else I can help clarify for YOU (personal)?

On my boat dives, it is always in my pocket. If I surface in rough seas and have to wait for the boat, I clip off my reg, use the snorkel to keep breathing easy and no water gulping, and when the boat arrives I am immediately ready to climb the ladder. If, god forbid, I ever got left and had to swim to shore, or be in the water many hours, in a chop or rough seas, the snorkel would change from a nice convenience to essential survival gear.

So, one is always with me, even if it might not be on my mask all the time.

I do put my reg back in my mouth before starting to climb the ladder into the boat just in case I happen to slip and fall back into the water. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it will some time...

The YOU was a more corporate YOU and not a personal YOU.

Good to hear. Because that wasn't particularly evident in the post that seemed to be directly addressed to me and which I replied to:

Your are exactly right, of course you would not need your SMB if you were snorkeling around from site to site in your favorite quarry.

That depends quite a lot on the location. In my neck of the woods, that's not a very relevant issue.

I do carry a dSMB regularly, though, both because my boat tender prefers it - it's a lot easier to spot that orange phallus sticking out of the water than a couple of small, black heads - and in case I get carried away by current (for the same reason).
Diving in Norway is completely beyond anything I can imagine. At this point in my life I stop diving in NJ when the temps dip close to 60F, about 16C. I don't own a drysuit, and have no desire to own one.

I like to get wet, to really feel the sea- but only if it's reasonably warm. I dislike any wetsuit thicker than 5mm. I started scuba diving with just a bathing suit and a tee shirt, the latter more for sun block than for warmth. As my tolerance for cold water diminishes I find myself returning to that initial outfit, or its equivalent.

If I were diving among the icebergs in a fiord I'm not sure what use a snorkel would be, unless I were close to OOA on the surface and there was some rough water.

I always have a sleek free diving style snorkel with me. I often snorkel after scuba, just for the feeling of complete freedom after removing all that heavy equipment. It's only then that I attach the simple little snorkel to my mask. While scuba diving it's usually in a holster on my right thigh or calf, immediately available but never in the way.

Oh no no no, heavens no. No one has been mean at all, in fact everyone here seems pretty chill and friendly. Thank you much for that!

I just feel bad for discussing a hashed topic. Being new I wanted some opinions to kind of coincide with my specific diving situation, but I've learned a ton of valuable things in this thread. Thanks for all the information folks!

As others have said never apologize for asking the question. I was simply playing around and that was evidently taken serious by some. There are tons of ways to learn and asking a question specific to you (as you did very well) should never be admonished. If MY comment gave that you that indication I am truly sorry.

Not at all, everyone has seemed super friendly and cool here, I appreciate everyone's responses. I've actually really enjoyed reading this thread.

Charge on diving bear!!

Ha! My girlfriend's nickname for me is "Bear." Now that we're going to learn to Scuba dive she's began calling me Scuba Bear. I googled "Scuba Bear" for giggles to see if I could find a funny avatar for here. The picture I'm using is what popped up

Oh no no no, heavens no. No one has been mean at all, in fact everyone here seems pretty chill and friendly. Thank you much for that!

I just feel bad for discussing a hashed topic. Being new I wanted some opinions to kind of coincide with my specific diving situation, but I've learned a ton of valuable things in this thread. Thanks for all the information folks!

Scuba Bear, there is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad about your post. You posted a legitimate question on the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum; designed for folks, like yourself, to get answers to basic questions to help you on your path to becoming a better diver.

Please continue to ask questions... that's what this forum is for.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some offtopic posts have been removed.

Although some thread drift is fairly common on the board, it went a bit too far in this thread. This is not the right place for personal chats totally unrelated to the OP. Please remember the special rules for the New Divers forum:
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom