Confused about the whole Snorkel thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha...I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as "snorkel" threads have gone, this one has actually been pretty good and has been informative. This one has not deteriorated into put-downs of folks who use snorkels...as other threads have.

Let's face it, in this thread the usual suspects showed up and gave their reasoning on why they do what they do to give the OP some information to think about. None of the snorkel jihadists showed up, so the OP is just dealing with divers that don't care what he does as long as it works for him.

Personally, I like this kind of thread because there is a chance I could, and have, picked up something new to try that might change how I dive. I tried a long hose and backup on a necklace and found the snorkel interfered with that configuration, and because I use a snorkel a lot, I went to a 40" hose with a 90 degree adaptor.

This thread will, and is, dying a natural death by people going on to the topic of how interesting, civil, and informative it was rather than being frustrated and pi**ed off and saying screw it I'm out of here.

Or may be its the season

Cheers to all

Bob

I found having a snorkel was an annoyance. If I had a smaller, less bulky snorkel then it might be a different story. It was always getting into my view, or moving around and just generally being uncomfortable. I do keep it in my dive bag just in case.

I found having a snorkel was an annoyance. If I had a smaller, less bulky snorkel then it might be a different story. It was always getting into my view, or moving around and just generally being uncomfortable. I do keep it in my dive bag just in case.

My snorkel doesn't do any of those things, it's in my pocket until I need it.

I'm very much in the minority in that I have a snorkel attached to my mask on all dives, and have done so for over 35 years.

It's not that I need it on every dive, but when a situation arises it's there.

I've surfaced were the weather deteriorated and had to wait over 30 minutes for the boat to get round to picking us up. Not lost, the boat was only a mile away having issues picking up other divers, and we were all drifting with the tide. There was a wind blowing, my buddy - without a snorkel, ended up swallowing salt blown on the wind, I didn't.

Only 2 weeks ago, surface swimming to the buoy-line, with the snorkel I was able to stay on course, see other divers in the way, and fin naturally. Because I was horizontal in the water I didn't create the drag like those swimming on their back, I was not out-of-breath. It was annoying to wait for my guide to get their breath back to start the dive - no tip.

I completely agree. I dive with a snorkel & now it's a part of me. I don't often use it, but there have been a few times when it's saved me a helluva lot of grief. Others were choking and miserable...and I had no issues because of my snorkel. The next day, practically everyone who was back on the boat had a snorkel with them just in case. That says a lot right there.

Side note: If you dive with it all the time, you don't notice it any more and it doesn't get in your way. It's like all equipment...you just have to get used to it.

HOG this, snorkel that, I wear a FFM so I carry a spare mask already. I don't have anywhere for a snorkel to go! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having a Dive Rite Travelpac with a 12" corrugated hose, I have mistakenly took my snorkle to inflate... since then, I removed my snorkle from my mask strap and keep it in safely my bag for snorkling use...

1 simple question, a bazzilion thoughts on it. Try for your self, in controlled conditions. I personally don't use one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The bazillion thoughts are because no two divers dive or think in exactly the same way.

Cave & wreck divers have their thoughts (which are guided by other gear considerations such as long hose), OW divers often have different opinions depending on local conditions - there is no single correct answer.

I do apologize for creating this thread. I was looking for specific information on what the recommendations may be for the exact diving I would be doing, which will be primarily shore diving in California and lake diving around the southwest (for now...). It sounds to me like it's mainly a preference thing and what you're comfortable doing for which reasons, pro's vs. cons and how they weigh out for each individual. I see the advantage of having a snorkel, as being able to swim out in a more natural way and seeing stuff along the way out, but also the advantage of not having to deal with the drag and annoyance of having it on your mask. I guess the best thing to do in my situation is to just get a decent little dry snorkel and try it out and see if I can live with it. If not, purchase a folding snorkel and keep the pretty dry snorkel tucked away for times where it might be wanted.

Thanks again for the help.

Never apologise for asking a question - there is no such thing as a dumb question, only the question that isn't asked is really dumb.

I think the long and short answer is find what works for you. Every person in this thread has worked out their own solution depending on their particular need/experience.

Never apologise for asking a question - there is no such thing as a dumb question, only the question that isn't asked is really dumb.
Agreed.

Besides, this has got to be the most civil and balanced snorkel thread I've read here. At least for quite a while. So maybe the OP has brought some good karma? :wink:

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I do apologize for creating this thread. I was looking for specific information on what the recommendations may be for the exact diving I would be doing, which will be primarily shore diving in California and lake diving around the southwest (for now...). It sounds to me like it's mainly a preference thing and what you're comfortable doing for which reasons, pro's vs. cons and how they weigh out for each individual. I see the advantage of having a snorkel, as being able to swim out in a more natural way and seeing stuff along the way out, but also the advantage of not having to deal with the drag and annoyance of having it on your mask. I guess the best thing to do in my situation is to just get a decent little dry snorkel and try it out and see if I can live with it. If not, purchase a folding snorkel and keep the pretty dry snorkel tucked away for times where it might be wanted.

Thanks again for the help.

As others have said never apologize for asking the question. I was simply playing around and that was evidently taken serious by some. There are tons of ways to learn and asking a question specific to you (as you did very well) should never be admonished. If MY comment gave that you that indication I am truly sorry. Charge on diving bear!!

Only Scubaboard would have 5+ pages back and forth on something like a snorkel.

Five pages of discussion is a good thing, and I never felt you made any implication that it wasn't - it struck me as just an observation about Scubaboard - where 5 pages is a small topic.

----

Five pages of snorkel discussion is about 4 more pages than is covered in the average OW manual - and that coverage is usually more about marketing and snorkel selection with a paragraph devoted to detailing how to attach it to a mask strap. What's usually notably absent is any discussion of why it's used, or the pros and cons of wearing a snorkel on the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom