Confused about the whole Snorkel thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just did a trip to Grand Cayman lots of shore diving with somewhat long swim outs over a shallow hard bottom and there was a bunch of cool stuff to see in the shallows. Typically I swim on my back but when we go back in a few months I am going to use my snorkel on the shore dives so I do not miss out on all of the cool little critters hanging out in the shallows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorkels have a use when required so why not make it normal to have one attached to your mask?

As I mentioned upthread, they interfere with hog looping/primary donate.

I'm a snorkel guy myself, but if you're running a long hose config with primary donate, a snorkel attached to the mask strap isn't necessarily a good idea. Fortunately, there are more alternatives than no snorkel or snorkel attached to mask.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2015 at 03:40 PM ----------

I first thought a really good dry snorkel was the way to go, but began reading about how the cons tend to outweigh the pros. The drag and puling on your mask and overall bulkiness seem annoying (small things like that tend to bug me, a LOT) if it isn't absolutely required. If I understand right, laying on your back and swimming like that out to your dive point seems to be what most people do, but I wonder... Isn't it easier when you can see underwater just where you're going? Also, in emergency situations I can see why one might be desirable. A folding snorkel seems to be the way to go. There in case of emergencies, there in case some one or some place requires them, but out of the way. The only thing is... These really simple little folding snorkels seem like they would be awful at keeping water out in ANY chop whatsoever, making them basically useless. If I came up in choppy conditions trying hard to get back to shore I'd hate to be choking so much with every breath I took. Might be counter intuitive, no? So for ultimate safety and ease of swimming out is it worth it to just get used to a good dry snorkel? I want me and my girlfriend to be very safe in what we do, but I also don't want us to be annoyed underwater with needless drag on our masks.

Again, I searched and read many topics on this and got a lot of good information but was hoping for a bit more, perhaps specific to what I'm asking and my situation. Thank you kindly for any help!
I prefer a simple J-tube or roll-up snorkel. I was weaned off dry snorkels many years ago, way before I took my OW cert and see no advantage of any valve on my breathing tube. KISS. YMMV, of course.

Even a roll-up or foldable snorkel sticks above your mouth and can be very nice to have in chop if you're OOA. I think a snorkel in some form adds to my safety. Again, YMMV.

Myself, I really don't worry about "drag". It may be because I'm a drysuit diver with a camera and likes to take it slow, but drag hasn't bothered me so far. If I'm in a current, I prefer to go with the flow rather than fight it. Once again, YMMV.

As you see from the different answers to your OP, it's pretty much a question of personal preferences and needs, and opinions vary all over the place. I think a snorkel is a nice thing to have but prefer it not fixed to my mask strap. As you gain experience, you'll probably find out which alternative is the best for you.

As I mentioned upthread, they interfere with hog looping/primary donate.

agreed, but like it or not, this is not the standard configuration for the majority of recreational divers.

You'll notice all the posters that say they find them useful have gray hair. I don't use them on every dive, but I have them for most dives. By Monday the tech guys will be chanting don't waste your money... I like surface swimming with a snorkel you get to see what is below and it can make keeping a compass heading easier, also swimming face down is more hydrodynamic. Like a lot of things in diving, there are plenty of opinions.

You guys do realize there is a large tank full of air on your back right? With a regulator, that puts air in your mouth? It works just as well on the surface as it does below water. I have still never found a use for a snorkel in scuba diving. I have occasionally used my snorkel-tank (patent pending) setup and swam around on the surface.

You'll notice all the posters that say they find them useful have gray hair.

Hey dude, admittedly, my first dive was over 20 years ago but I'm only 38 years old and have no grey hair! I am a tech diver and don't use a snorkel for tech dives but that's a different conversation. The op is starting out diving so will most likely be using a standard recreational set up which a snorkel won't interfere with.

Tech diving is different in many ways. Lots of attributes of a good tech diver would be beneficial to a recreational diver but not all, the two disciplines are different, it's like comparing apples to oranges

You'll notice all the posters that say they find them useful have gray hair.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

(well, OK, I have to admit I have a bit of gray hair. But only on my temples. The top of my head is blank...)

---------- Post added December 20th, 2015 at 04:06 PM ----------

agreed, but like it or not, this is not the standard configuration for the majority of recreational divers.

Agreed, but I generally have an issue with blanket statements and wanted to add some perspective :)

You guys do realize there is a large tank full of air on your back right? With a regulator, that puts air in your mouth? It works just as well on the surface as it does below water. I have still never found a use for a snorkel in scuba diving. I have occasionally used my snorkel-tank (patent pending) setup and swam around on the surface.

Why waste gas?

How about someone who for some reason has an empty tank?

Asking this, you're going to get a repeat of the same 1000 opinions you've already read. Just realize the same solution doesn't suit everyone, and different solutions (including _no_ snorkel) may suit you better at different times. If you are looking for one perfect snorkel for all situations you won't find it, so don't lose sleep trying. The nice thing about snorkels is, they're not that expensive - unless you buy a really big fancy one, which I agree you shouldn't. So if you wind up with something that doesn't suit you or your diving, it's not a big deal to change. People that stay in diving tend to accumulate gear, this would be one of the cheaper things to accumulate. :wink:

If I'm actually snorkeling, I prefer a rigid snorkel with simple splash guard and purge, and without a flexible bottom section as they tend to pull a little and tire my jaw. (Really those are meant for if you do keep one on your mask while diving, so the mouthpiece theoretically drops out of the way of your reg.)

For diving, I rarely if ever want a snorkel, but I keep a roll up in a pocket just in case. Not as nice to use, but I'm an air sipper and always have plenty of air, so I just breath off my reg all the time. Someone who uses more air and does lots of surface swimming may have a different preference. As far as folding snorkels keeping out chop, there are roll up snorkels out there that do have purge valves and a bit of a splash guard on top. So if you decide you'd like to keep a snorkel stashed away on you while diving but would like those features, that is something you can get. I think this is the one I have - XS Scuba SN650 Cargo

Last edited:
They have their place, and you may want a different type of snorkel depending on what you are doing.

I started freediving years before I started scuba diving. What you want in that endeavor is a J type snorkel with a large bore and minimal breathing resistance. You don't want a fancy purge valve either, as the purge prevents you from clearing the snorkel via displacement on the way to the surface. if you blow a little air in the snorkel when you're looking up at the surface on the way up, it forces the water out, so you can just roll your head forward on the surface and inhale with little or no water in the snorkel. It's much more efficient.

Many scuba divers though, who only use the snorkel for surface swims, often in chop, prefer a snorkel with a section to trap water and a purge valve to eliminate it without the need for a sharp exhalation to blow it out the tube. That however adds bulk and drag in the tube, and makes clearing by displacement impossible. In the extreme, divers will choose a dry snorkel with some method to divert spray from entering the tube, or use a float of some sort to close the opening if it is submerged.

Below is a Scubapro Shotgun 2, which was a more streamlined version of their older Shotgun snorkel. It has a water trap and a purge valve to eliminate that water - at the expense of more drag. Along side it is a normal variation of the plain old J Snorkel, this one made by Sherwood.

30F42A86-8116-46AA-846F-0BEED494B131_zpsj6pypvhb.jpg

In addition to scuba divers who want an all the bells and whistles snorkel, you have scuba divers who recognize that a snorkel is nice to have when you need it, but just additional drag, clutter and entanglement hazard the other 95% of the time when you don't need it. Many of those divers will just use a folding snorkel stowed in a pocket.

If you are one of the growing number of divers who are figuring out the vast superiority of using a long hose primary (either 60" for recreational diving, or 84" for most technical diving) to provide air to an out of air diver, you'll have discovered that a snorkel clipped on the mask strap creates a potential obstruction and entanglement when deploying that long hose to a diver in an emergency. Those divers will also use a pocket snorkel, or keep their snorkel somewhere else.

Most of my diving is now technical cave diving where a snorkel is not needed, and the limited shallow "pretty fish" diving I do is usually done with a Freedom plate, a 30 pound wing, and a double hose regulator, where a snorkel clipped to the mask strap is in the way. However, there are still open water situations where I find a snorkel to be useful. For example, if you shore dive off Elbow Beach in Bermuda, you'll find the first 200-300 yards off the beach is shallow, and fairly boring sand. A snorkel really helps you save gas swimming that 300 yards to get to the great diving that's found on the offshore reef. In those cases however, I'll usually just tuck my plain old J snorkel under the waist strap or keep in the bungee loops on the bottom of my plate along with my lift bag. It's out of the way there yet, easy to access if I need it at the end of a dive. If I need it at the start of a dive, or if I need to shoot the lift bag, it usually just gets tucked in the waist band after I'm done or before I deploy the lift bag.

AEA48B46-333B-4339-B200-0C3D84286DD4_zpsrju4k9hp.jpg

The key here is to decide how YOU will personally use a snorkel, then get one that meets your needs, and fits into your overall gear configuration.

That might mean a bells and whistles model, a plain J snorkel, a folding or roll up pocket snorkel, or no snorkel at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom