Confused where to start Oh to Fl ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, the bad news is that there isn't alot of money in diving. Most instructors, like my husband, have a "real" job that pays the bills, teaching is just for fun and hopefully break even on expenses. And the idea of moving to Florida - hmmm, there is a dive instructor around every corner.

But the Good NEWS is that you could get up through Divemaster and go for a job on a liveaboard for awhile. It is a good way to be in the industry and earn a living, especially while you are young and unattached. We have met several DM/Instructors lately on liveaboards who were doing it for fun (a break from college and to raise money for college) or in order to get enough experience to manage a dive operation. If you really want to work in the dive industry, this is a great place to start. Yes, you could work in a dive shop selling gear (been there, done that) but it pays barely over minimum wage and doesn't get you in the water.

robin:D
That does sound like a good way into the industry! I'll have to see what all it takes to get into. thanks alot!!

Have you investigated whether you will be able to support yourself as a SCUBA instructor?

If you are interested in biological research why pursue the marine biology degree and work toward the divemaster/instructor certification as time permits.

By doing so you might open up a wider career path for yourself.

I agree with FisherDVM. All of the SCUBA instructors that I know have full time jobs. One owns a dive shop, the other four work in corporate America.
That is what I have seen as well, at least in Ohio. I just assumed that it was because of the lack of diving in the area. Now it seem as though it is industry wide.

My guess is that 95% of OW scuba instructors have a real job, and do scuba instruction part time. The remaining 5% likely is split between sales, marketing, and scuba instruction. Have you considered commercial diving? Like construction, inspection, and demolition?
Actually I haven't looked much into commercial diving. Maybe that would be a good place to start. Sounds like a pretty secure job.

Back
Top Bottom