Confused...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ready to get a strobe for my Oly E-PL1 and PT-EP01 housing. It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get.

I have narrowed it down to:
1 - D-2000
1 - S-2000
1 - UFL-2
1 - YS-D1
2 - YS-01

I am considering the UFL-2 since the RC mode is supposed to work so well with Oly cameras. I have never used a strobe underwater and don't want to waste a lot of money on something that doesn't do what I want it to do - be a basic strobe capabale of taking decent pictures in varied conditions. Powerful enough for me to play with settings for desired effects and simple enough to set it up and hand it off to my wife for her to take pictures basically as a P & S.

I am considering the 2 YS-01 strobes vs 1 each of the others since I ahve heard that 2 strobes are always better than one.

Any info is appreciated.

All good choices. FWIW, I shoot with dual YS-01's. They work, they're great, travel nicely, no problems. 2 strobes are not necessarily "better than 1", just different. Just depends one what you're shooting, and what you're shooting with.

I think for learning a single strobe is one of the best ways to learn, but ultimately you will want two strobes. I have/use the Inon S2000, D2000, Z240 and the S&S YS01, 110a and D1. They are all good but for your setup I might go with either 2 YS01 or 2 S2000.
Bill

I guess I keep looking at the difference between two strobe bulbs (1 horizontal and 1 vertical) with the D-2000 vs the single bulb in the S-2000. Have also been hearing things about the Sea & Sea's not being as reliable, and that the Inon's are damn near indestructable.

Any thoughts on my above post? At this point, with all of the research, phone calls, etc. I'm down to a single D-2000 for the time being (a second to be added later), the Nauticam Flexitray W with both handles, and various ULCS arms, clamps and adpaters for a focus light and the strobe - 2 - 8" arms for the strobe.

That will be a fine choice. For macro I have never been able to see a real difference between the S2000 and the D2000 strobes if I use a diffuser. Learn how to use a single strobe well and you are on your way to being a good photographer.
Bill

Thanks. I keep getting more and more confused it seems. I have one group telling my that Sea & Sea strobes are good, but flood easy - and that Inon's are indestructable. I have one group telling me the S&S strobe (YS-D1) is better than the Inon I am looking at because of the higher power.

And has anyone had experience with I-DAS arms/clamps/ etc.?

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom