confused?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I am new to diving this is something that really has started to bother me..haha. I walk into the LDS and everybody asks " how you doing?" I was use to giving the thumbs up and saying something positive but in diving that isn't good, the wetter the better. If I give the thumbs down some may think like a land lover and figure that I am not doing good.
I have the same problem with underwater. I find something really neat and think of the thumbs up signal. NOOOO, I don't want to do that I want to stay under. Boy this sport just keeps getting more confusing.

crpntr133:
Since I am new to diving this is something that really has started to bother me..haha. I walk into the LDS and everybody asks " how you doing?" I was use to giving the thumbs up and saying something positive but in diving that isn't good, the wetter the better. If I give the thumbs down some may think like a land lover and figure that I am not doing good.
I have the same problem with underwater. I find something really neat and think of the thumbs up signal. NOOOO, I don't want to do that I want to stay under. Boy this sport just keeps getting more confusing.
Think thats confusing. The Navy divers (in Canada) use thumbs up for OK and use a thunderflash (BIG firecracker) for ascent signal.

cheers,

Here in Brazil the standard OK signal is equivalent to giving somebody the finger when not actually diving so most people use the surfing signal - stick out your thumb and small finger, bend the others and rotate back and fro about 30degrees.

wedivebc:
Think thats confusing. The Navy divers (in Canada) use thumbs up for OK and use a thunderflash (BIG firecracker) for ascent signal.

cheers,

Pyrotechnics and SCUBA, now were talkin!! Only thing is I would probably be more confused with the names that are used for pyros below water versus above water. What a wonderful world.

When I was in school they used M-80's with a small weight attached to it for diver recalls.

I had one come down so close one day that it cracked the lens on my "Dixie Cup" when it went off. And it hurt like the daylights.

Might have had something to do with me mouthing off to an instructor earlier that morning. They would get even. You just never knew when, how or from what direction it would come but the score would end with them ahead.

Gary D.

There is one signal that I think every begining diver should know. In fact, I think it is so important that I tell every student I come across.
Here is the scenario, you are swimming along in a spring in Florida that happens to have a cave in it. Your dive buddy decides that it would be fun to explore the cave and motions for you to follow him. At this point whenever your buddy looks at you, extend your arm towards them, bend your wrist, so that your palm is facing you. Then fold your fingers into a fist except for the middle one. Now that you know how to do it what does it mean........... it means go ahead and go in the cave if you want, I am headed to the surface. Of course, implied is "you stupid bast***, how dare you try to convince me to die with you in your stupidity.

SamDiver14:
There is one signal that I think every begining diver should know. In fact, I think it is so important that I tell every student I come across.
Here is the scenario, you are swimming along in a spring in Florida that happens to have a cave in it. Your dive buddy decides that it would be fun to explore the cave and motions for you to follow him. At this point whenever your buddy looks at you, extend your arm towards them, bend your wrist, so that your palm is facing you. Then fold your fingers into a fist except for the middle one. Now that you know how to do it what does it mean........... it means go ahead and go in the cave if you want, I am headed to the surface. Of course, implied is "you stupid bast***, how dare you try to convince me to die with you in your stupidity.
Incase your buddy doesn't get the hint with one hand it is totally acceptable to use both hands together. Shaking one or both is also acceptable.

On one pair of my drysuit gloves I have that finger covered in traditional colored Duct Tape. Holds up well and is clearly visable.

Gary D.

wedivebc:

cheers,

how do they light a thunderflash underwater? i've used hundreds of them, and one thing im quite sure of is that its impossible to get one to light when they're wet(since you have to strike the fuse like a match). they also fall apart when they're wet.

SamDiver14:
Gosh! I hope I didn't confuse my one buddy yesterday. We were diving when some moron in a boat drifted over our flag. Mind you we were in under 14fsw. I grabbed one buddy and dragged him lower in case the motor started, then tried to tell my buddy with the flag what just happened....using the hand signal you described and pointed to the boat. OOOPS, another buddy was in direct fire of the hand signal...now I have to try to signal, "you're ok, but the boat above you gets the signal.." Looks of confusion and lots more OK's and notes on the slates before we continue our adventure...and they say diving is relaxing...

startag:
how do they light a thunderflash underwater? i've used hundreds of them, and one thing im quite sure of is that its impossible to get one to light when they're wet(since you have to strike the fuse like a match). they also fall apart when they're wet.

Hey Man,
Navy divemasters don't get wet. They sit in the boat and light their thunderflashes at the surface.
Or so I'm told...

cheers,
Dave...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom