Conger Eel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
I wonder if it would help to set up the camera on a tripod, put the self-timer for the longest setting and then pull back a ways after starting the timer.

Although elusive, they are kind of cute. Particularly the ones 4 or 5 feet away that just poke up enough to peek out and you and disappear again.

That spot at Molokini is not only good for Garden Eels, but it's also the only spot where I have ever seen a Barred Conger. Same sand channel, just off to the west side and a bit deeper than the upper end of the garden eels. The photos, even if blurry and out of focus are good enough to positively ID this relatively rare species.
P1190532_cc_ml_usm.jpg

P1190531.JPG

Did you notice the technique for getting a better view. :)

The Hawaiian Barred Conger Eel is one of the rarest eels we have in Hawaii. Only three have ever been spotted since the early years. This one was encountered off the island Lana'i.
Kind of makes you wonder how they manage to find each other often enough to continue the species.

Followed the link back to http://www.pdmaui.com/index.html . Several other cool videos and some good links to buoy info.

halemano:
Hijack/ Check out this video of a barred conger!!!
Gosh darn dang it. That was too cool!

This photo was taken at Pu'u Olai, first sand channel at about 35-40 ft. It was freeswimming when I saw it, then it sucked back down in the sand, tail first, that's when I snapped this photo. It remained that way with just its head poking out of the sand.

blesi varney:
This photo was taken at Pu'u Olai, first sand channel at about 35-40 ft. It was freeswimming when I saw it, then it sucked back down in the sand, tail first, that's when I snapped this photo. It remained that way with just its head poking out of the sand.
I knew you were on a first name basis with some Crocodile Snake Eels out at Red Hill, but that's even more cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom