congor eels help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinnydogdives

Registered
Reaction score
just trying to get other peoples views on something i encounter on a lot of dives,
that being congor eels caught in lobster pots. i always release them as the fisher men will only kill them and use them as bait. last weekend i found a beautiful congor she was at least 7ft long probably close to mating age it was really cool to be able to get so close to her and examine her i called the rest of the divers over to show them how cool they really are then opened the pot and let her go after the dive all the divers asked why i had let her out after explaining that all the congors found in in shore waters are female and that they only mate once at around the age of 15 and then die i think i had converted a few
ps the congor had already eaten the bait in the pot but i will always set them free

You'd get fined/shot for letting bycatch free without killing it?

What is the reasoning for that?

not sure about other parts of the country, but my understanding here in FL is that any sort of tampering with a trap is illegal and knowing a handfull of crabbers and lobster guys myself, if they caught you before the law did, it might be off to Davey Jones' Locker for you

Wijbrandus:
You'd get fined/shot for letting bycatch free without killing it?

What is the reasoning for that?

well, the problem was poaching and having people other than the owner messing with the crab traps.

at least in florida, it is illegal to "molest" (which includes just messing with, not necessarily opening) traps for crawfish (fla. stat. 370.14(4)), stone crabs (370.13(2)(b)), or spiny lobsters (370.142(2)(c)(3)).

i know this cause i did some research on this not long ago. there is probably other
prohibitions on messing with traps out there.

best bet is to stay clear of traps in Florida

this is not intended as legal advice. please consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and familiar with the area of law in question.

Right or wrong tampering with lobster pots can be equated to cattle rustling in the old west. I believe the assumption is that you are taking lobster/crab as opposed to releasing a by-catch. Personally I agree with the concept of freeing the captured eels but to do so in United States waters is illegal which places you in the whole do two wrongs make a right argument.

thank you .... thank you very much ....

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom