Congratulations SDI instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a Bachelor's degree online.

You can get a Master's degree online.

Both require a considerable amount of knowledge transfer and demonstration.

You demonstrate the acquistion of knowledge by passing a test.

You demonstrate retention of knowledge by either passing a test or giving a demonstration of that knowlege at a later date.

Computer based training is here. The SCUBA industry was just a little slower to get into it.

You can teach book knowledge online. You teach physical skills in the water.

If there is a problem with online training.... why is scubaboard or diver link, or Rodales board so popular.

What is the difference....

I'll even answer my own question. I will put more stock in information that comes from a recognized source than I will faceless words on a screen that I have to work to verify rather than take as the truth.

TwoBit

I guess I just don't think what's in the book is adequate. Well, not even close. The only instructors who don't have anything to say are the ones who don't know anything.

Everyone here has probably crammed for a test were all you do is parrot back the information without ever comprehending it.

A online course is not going to be able to tell if you are merely regurgitating information or if you comprehend the information.

A good teacher should be able to tell the difference.

To give a scuba related example.

A student can memorize the definition of air embolism.

A student can be told to always blow bubbles.

Not all students will draw the correlation between the two.

A good instructor will fill in the blanks and explain to those who don't get it how it all ties together.

I could see doing your homework online but not the whole course minus the dives online.

Well, as a holder of a SDI c-card, I can tell you that the internet work could not be much easier than the regular academic method of my certification. We all sat in a little room, read our books a chapter at a time and answered the questions in unison, with our instructor allowing us to "grade" our own sheets. Not really an enviroment condusive to learning, and not a big step down from just doing it on the computer. I think a cert should involve a real, honest-to-god, no books test, but I guess that's just me. Although, I am sorry to hear you won't fill my tanks, Mike. :eek:ut:

Novus

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
IMO, There's nothing wrong with doing homework on the net as long as it isn't use as an excuse to do away with class time.

Personally, I won't do inwater training with and certainly won't certify a student until we've had some class time.
What do YOU mean by class time? If the online stuff reduces the amount of time sitting around watching videos, then that means more time for discussions and Q&A sessions, as well as practical in-water practice. That's the sort of things where the experience of an instructor and face-to-face interaction helps.

The online education system is great for someone who want to proactively learn about scuba. It's not as great for someone who want to be passively taught.

Mike -- You might surprise yourself and find out that, in general, you would prefer the student that want to use the online system. They will be the same ones that with traditional material, actually had read and studied the material before class, and came with a bunch of questions to be answered.

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I think online training as a precurser to classroom training could be a good idea. But to replace the classroom training probably not. It would help those of us who have very busy schedules be able to spend more time learning then the weekend cram courses they now offer for a timesaver. But without the feedback from an instructor all the teaching is just words. I know the bookwork in my course was hard to relate to the real world. Without the instructor to put the pieces together it would have been a lot harder to understand.

Jessica

Charlie99 once bubbled...
What do YOU mean by class time? If the online stuff reduces the amount of time sitting around watching videos, then that means more time for discussions and Q&A sessions, as well as practical in-water practice. That's the sort of things where the experience of an instructor and face-to-face interaction helps.

The online education system is great for someone who want to proactively learn about scuba. It's not as great for someone who want to be passively taught.

Mike -- You might surprise yourself and find out that, in general, you would prefer the student that want to use the online system. They will be the same ones that with traditional material, actually had read and studied the material before class, and came with a bunch of questions to be answered.

Well, I don't have a problem with student preparing for class online by reading material and doing knowledge reviews. What I have a problem with is cd's videos and the net is being used to eliminate class time.

I haven't ever had students sit in the classroom and watch a video or read a book. Well at least not the video that comes with the student materials. LOL Class time is for showing application for the material and elaborating on the material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom