Conshelf as an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhoadc

Registered
Reaction score
I in the prcess of buying my first set of equipment. I came across a Conshelf 21 for a great price. Comes recently serviced and with a warrenty. I know its an older reg but from what I have read they are a bulletproof reg. I was think that its bulletproof reputation amd the great price I got would make it a good backup or octopus. Am I right or did I make a bad decision?

I use a Conshelf as my primary regulator. I can see no reason why it would not work as a secondary. The only point I might make is that many secondaries are yellow to make them easier for your buddy to spot.

2/3rds of the time a recreational diver will go for the reg in your mouth anyway as they know exactly where it and they know it is working. After dealing with an OOA, swiming to the buddy ect, most divers are not in the mood to go hunting for an octo, release it and then purge it before breathing, often to discover it is full of sand, has a stuck exhaust valve, etc. So having a yellow octo is pretty pointless.

Technoical divers just train to donate the primary in the first place.

I dived various Conshelfs ( Conshelves ?) for years. When I changed to Atomic about 10 years ago, I kept my Conshelf alternate. If yours is black, you can always use a yellow hose or hose wrap.

This one is already yellow. Thanks for the input! Sounds like a good deal for $30!

I have a Conshelf 21 and a Conshelf XIV. They both rock. I have an Atomic Z2 that gathers dust because I like the XIV so much.

Don't know if the deal is that great. I got my 21 for $30 and it included a first stage and two second stages. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom