Conshelf XIV Rebuild Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an update:
Here are the O-ring replacement sizes
Parts
UDD # AS#
820120 AS568-112 Dust cap O-ring
820080 AS568-006 Spring Block Assembly O-ring
820011 AS568-011 3/8" Port plug O-ring

The HP Seat seems to be the critical part to replace as there has been a newly designed one released to fix a free flow issue. It should look like this:
http://vintagedoublehose.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_19&products_id=69
The HP assembly tool at vintage double hose is also back in stock.
The first stage Diaphram(103429) seems to be made from soft Buna could this be the reason Aqualung will not certify the Conshelf for EAN?
At any rate the rubber seems to be in good shape on all of my first stages so it looks like you can re-use this part as well as the hard plastic backing ring(821026).
The hard washer(828005) looks like it's HD Polyethelene and is the same size as the O-ring it backs up in the Spring Block Assembly.
More later when I get some more info and some more questions answered.
The tool list I previously posted was directly pulled from the USD manual, obviously you can do the rebuild w/ less tools but I'm trying to be complete.

The only unusual tool you will need is a bent screwdriver. If you bend it properly it will rest against the can of the second stage while holding the end of the seat carrier and going straight into the carrier. This is used to hold the seat carrier still while adjusting the 1/4" nut (turn nut clockwise to point of freeflow then back off about 1/4 to 1/2 turn) Otherwise all standard tools. A 25 gram CO2 cartridge make an excellent support handle, threads are the same as a port plug. 12" crescent to remove first stage spring retainer cap/adjusting screw. You should also get a set of Craftsman brand internal/external circlip pliers. On older USD manuals when referencing o-rings, the last 3 digits is the standard oring size e.g. 010,014,011, use buna 70 or viton. Set intermediate pressure at 130, can go to 150 for a little better performance. The following is not factory >> to avoid diaphragm/lever flop and improved inhalation performanceextend the second stage lever upwards bending it ever so slightly for solid diaphragm contact. Squeeze ring clamp closed to check for leakage before inserting screw as second stage may leak after tightening screw down.

red_barbarian:
The first stage Diaphram(103429) seems to be made from soft Buna could this be the reason Aqualung will not certify the Conshelf for EAN?

Aqua Lung's rationale has to do with air flow in the 1st stage - apparently the Conshelf can be pressurized very quickly. More than anything, this is a case of the company being extremely anal. In the real world a Conshelf should be fine with the usual 40% or less rule.

The Titan and Legend both use the same parts as the Conshelf (diaphragm included) and are endorsed for Nitrox.

"Titan and Legend both use the same parts as the Conshel" Yeah, and Ed my LDS's tech informed me the other day that both the Titan and Legend rebuild kits work in my US Pro Diver first and second wooooooooo hooooooooo!!

Back
Top Bottom