Considering an Upgrade from Canon HF-S11 to D-SLR Video: Is it Worth the Investment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leebo92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone!

I've been considering upgrading my video gear and going into a D-SLR setup for shooting video. I'm not any type of professional, but I have a passion for diving and shoot underwater video mainly for my own enjoyment and to share w/ family, friends, and all my dive buddies.

I'm currently using a Canon HF-S11, along with a Gates Housing, Gates GP-32 Wide Angle Lens, and use Final Cut Pro X for all my editing. I'm happy w/ the quality of video I am able to take, but have a bit of an urge lately to upgrade into something new. I've been reading up a lot on using D-SLR cameras for underwater video, and most people seem to have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm considering selling my current gear and purchasing either the Canon 7d or the Canon t4i/650d, along with a new housing, dome port, and using a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens. My question mainly is it worth the investment into either one of these D-SLR's? Anyone out there who's made this type of switch and found it worthwhile, and really noticed a difference in what they used previously?

Any feedback, suggestions, and personal experiences shared would be much appreciated....thanks!

I was using a early generation Sony HD camcorder (in a L&M Housing). Two years ago I switched to a 5DII in a ikelite housing. For me, I really like the DSLR solution for u/w video. That being said, if I could do it again I probably would have went with a rebel vs full frame for u/w DSLR. That comment is based in part on cost and partly on ergonomics, etc.

The difference between the T4i and 7D in image quality won't be the great, same for ISO noise. The 7D will have a better focus system but for video it won't matter that much. But in the end, for most underwater pictures and video the T4i would produce images and videos that will be hard to tell apart. So why not go for the cheaper body.

Some notable advantages to the 7D include: the ability to do micro focus calibration for each lens.The 7D has a nice horizon level feature and the top LCD display can be handy when it's extremely bright. For stills, it will shoot more frames per second and offer a very complex focusing system.

But the rebel (especially t2i and t3i) are lighter, smaller and use cheaper SD cards. If you go with a earlier rebel and it floods the cost to replace the camera might be less than the lens! And overall, camera flood insurance will be less as it is typically around 3% of the equipment value you specify.

Also, the rumours are swirling of a 7DII in the near future. I have noticed that 7D's are now selling between $700 and $900 used these days so not much more than a t4i if you decide to go that route.

If you are willing to consider a used T3i or T2i, it will knock your cost down even more. I recently found a used t3i for $335 with about 8000 clicks on it. The money saved going that route will put a nice dent in the price of that lens or video light or strobe.

A note on ergonomics of the camera and housing. Keep in mind I am using a Ikelite housing w/5D2. For the 5D2 (similar to the 7D), they have a control wheel on the back. While on land it is awesome, underwater it means turning a knob. Perhaps the Gates and Nauticam implementations are better in this regard. But, having the 4 arrow keys on the back does seem a bit better for underwater use.

Lastly, put Magic Lantern on the camera. This is tried and proven for t2i, t3i and 5D2. I think the 7D was broken recently. On a rebel body you can have a very quick two or even one button whitebalance!!!!

What I really like about the DSLR route at any instant I can take 20MP images (in raw) while on the same dive. I don't know of any camcorders out there yet that can provide that combo.

On the flip side, if you are leaning very heavily on camcorder autofocus, you may be dissapointed especially if you are doing standard or telephoto shots. The depth of field can be a major PITA with DSLR video. Also, you will be looking at single clip length limits of about 12 minutes vs running a full hour with camcorder (but those long running shots, especially underwater are not too common).

If you are strictly going to shoot video I don't see the point of spending the money to "upgrade". Now if you want to start doing stills and video then that's a different thing. I will tell you that you are going to get very little for your current system. Why? The irony is lot's of folks are wanting to switch just like you so it makes it hard to sell what you have.

I have been wrestling with this idea for about 2yrs now. I didn't even have a camera to begin with. I knew I wanted to start shooting video underwater. There's tons of good deals on the classifieds here for camcorders/housings/ports, etc. So I was planning on buying something off here.

For whatever reason I ended up buying a T4i/650D. Now I am really having a hard time spending the extra ~$2500 on a housing, port and lens. I'm even considering picking up a Canon HV30/ikelite housing for $550 to use underwater and just keeping my t4i to shoot dry stills.

If it's soley for underwater video, I'd just keep your current setup.

Back
Top Bottom