considering DM training in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planet Scuba are excellent! seriously, I can't over do it when I say they are extrmely professional, have excellent equipment, an excellent reputation and very knowledgeable and approachable staff!

you know what, you are coming up on dive season for the similans, why not do your course in khao lak, it's gorgeous and the similans are stunning. ko tao is the armpit of thailand (however, if you like that sort of place, you will have a wonderful time).

Aum:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input and opinions. Thought there had to be more to it. I just like to examine both sides of the coin especially when it comes to putting down cash and time for training like this.

I haven't completely disregarded Cat's post as she made a valid point still about returning to my home country and doing it. But that said, I was a little surprised about the prejudice toward Thailand training in general. Generalizations always get me a little prickly. :) I'm sure if other ppl bothered to post there would be dozens that would be in favour and against. Seems to be the way of it. And not just in this industry.

Dorset and Debbie, thanks for your posts. If anything I'm getting a more complete picture about the whole scene. Dorset, nice to know that if some of us do do our training on Koh Tao then there is work out there at the end of the tunnel. :) Debbie, thanks for confirming with Dorset and my own thoughts that it does seem to be more of an individual and subjective basis than just accepting people "slagging off". :D Good, if not better to hear about personal experience as well.

Tinylia, nice to hear that your friend is going to the same school I'm considering. One of the main reasons was exactly for the "hands-on" approach that they seem to offer. And yes, I would be interested in getting his email and talking about it more. Especially as he's already there and doing it now. I'll also probably be there in November. If not then, December at the lastest. Damn bills just keep piling up. <fingers crossed>

Arch

Hi Arch,

his name is Hans. His email address is: hmp@mail.com. However, I am cancelling my trip to Koh Tao in Nov. Apparently it's monsoon season there. Most of everyone in Koh Tao will be moving away until it's over which according to the locals it should be over by December. So, maybe it's ok to pay off those bills first! :p

chantana:
you know what, you are coming up on dive season for the similans, why not do your course in khao lak, it's gorgeous and the similans are stunning. ko tao is the armpit of thailand (however, if you like that sort of place, you will have a wonderful time).

lol Chan...if koh tao is the armpit then I'd hate to know what the a$$end is. :)

I've heard and read about how beautiful the Similans is but actually never thought about it in terms of the DM course. Might look into it a lil bit anyways.

Tinylia, thanks for your friends' email. Gonna send one off to him and introduce myself and badger him with questions. :D And I totally forgot about monsoon season. Boo! Hiss! Bills suck! hehe
May not be a bad idea though to postpone a lil. Although last year when I went around that same time it wasn't too bad. Admittedly it was in dec so it was more the tail end but going a lil later isn't a bad idea either.

Dorset, hehe don't worry. Cat hasn't phased me about PlanetScuba. I'm still pretty keen on them but I'm just checking out all my options at the moment. Thanks for the encouragement tho when it comes to Tao. And if I'm going to Tao still (which I'll let you know) I'll definitely still be there in Feb so give me a headsup when you're coming and diving with you is definitely on.

Sunrise, thanks for your input. I understand what you mean about individual training vs. resort/tourist experience. I think that was the point Cat was trying to make.

ciao for now,

Arch

Don't mean to make you suffer through the agony of choice but.....One option you could consider is doing half your course in Koh Tao & the other half in the Similans.Coral Grand Divers have abusy centre in Koh Tao loads of students there so you can get quite alot of assissting done & learning all about group control & then reward yourself with an experience in The Similans at their centre in Khao Lak where they operate daytrips & liveaboards to the Similans. Worth checking out at least.
Contact info@queenscuba.com for prices or check out www.coralgranddivers.com
If you are going to become a Diving professional you may aswell do it in style!

Argh! The agony of indecision. :) Looked into Similans a lil and have to admit that what I see looks real nice.

But quick question Captain. I had a look at the Coral Grand Divers site....why is the DM course twice that what it is on other islands? Just curious.

regards

Arch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom