considering DM training in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh and I might add, I'm happily teaching up here in Scotland, have also taught in Cyprus - having done dmt, IDC and msdt internship in thailand.

Hi Dorsetboy.
Could not agree with you more! I am an american and being diving in the states and taking courses both here and mexico and last year in thailand i have seen both sides of the coin. The training is excellent on koh tao and the quality of the staff is extremely high. I did 150 dives during my course, i got lectures (in my school there was dedicated master and course directors only teaching divemasters) in all the topics (i had problems with the physics and they did three 2 hour lectures just to make sure that i understood everything), i assisted on over 15 courses both opw, aow and rescue, i was leading fundivers over 20 times. If some critize koh tao diveschools i would be very curious what they offer more than above in their courses!!! Take care and before you decide where to go use your own judgement and dont listen to people slagging others off... the great sin in marketing, right!?! Debbie

The biggest schools on koh tao and with the most experienced staff is Bans Diving and Buddha View... they are the most experienced regarding professional training. I took my dm and idc with Bans Diving, Course Director Christophe Pace and Jonas Samuelsson did all my training. Check out their website on amazingkohtao.com. Bye Debbie

Hi Aum!

My good friend, Hans is actually getting his DM right now at Planet Scuba in Koh Tao. He seems to be pretty happy there. According to him, he has hands on learning rather than just watching the instructors. I haven't heard anything bad from him. PM me for his email, which I'm sure he would be more than happy to tell you everything you need to know. I myself will be there in Nov.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input and opinions. Thought there had to be more to it. I just like to examine both sides of the coin especially when it comes to putting down cash and time for training like this.

I haven't completely disregarded Cat's post as she made a valid point still about returning to my home country and doing it. But that said, I was a little surprised about the prejudice toward Thailand training in general. Generalizations always get me a little prickly. :) I'm sure if other ppl bothered to post there would be dozens that would be in favour and against. Seems to be the way of it. And not just in this industry.

Dorset and Debbie, thanks for your posts. If anything I'm getting a more complete picture about the whole scene. Dorset, nice to know that if some of us do do our training on Koh Tao then there is work out there at the end of the tunnel. :) Debbie, thanks for confirming with Dorset and my own thoughts that it does seem to be more of an individual and subjective basis than just accepting people "slagging off". :D Good, if not better to hear about personal experience as well.

Tinylia, nice to hear that your friend is going to the same school I'm considering. One of the main reasons was exactly for the "hands-on" approach that they seem to offer. And yes, I would be interested in getting his email and talking about it more. Especially as he's already there and doing it now. I'll also probably be there in November. If not then, December at the lastest. Damn bills just keep piling up. <fingers crossed>

Arch

Arch, if you're still out n about on Tao in Feb, I'll drop you a message to see if you fancy a dive.

Have a good one.

Greg

catbrown:
If someone tells me they got their DM n Thailand or Honduras, they immediately step backin the queue

Well, can't really speak for Koh Tao, though I have been there and have been living in Thailand for 5 years...BUT...

I did my DM course in Honduras with Utila Dive Centre in 1996. A lot of the dive centres there 8 years ago were pretty basic, and in the last few years the same dive centre has become an IDC centre and does all kinds of tech diving..but I digress..My DM training there was top notch, I took 6 weeks on the course, must have assisted on 15 courses, did about 80 dives during the course, the instructors were dedicated, we had good theory classes, and the instructors were very good at putting the DMT's in a leadership position (while they watched closely), such as giving briefings, leading dives, helping students with gear etc... I went back in 1998 for some DM work (unpaid) and later did my IDC there. I saw a helluva lot of good Dm's, especially in terms of people management, being friendly, helpful in and out of the water and being able to organise groups of divers. One of the advantages of doing a DM course in a place like Utila or Koh Tao is that you get a lot of experience, not just doing the theory and helping with the minimum recommended courses to complete the DM course.

OOh, cat you got me going now...

The only thing I may agree about your point is that training in Koh Tao or Utila, which is mainly a young persons, backpacking world, does not help you to deal with "resort" customers, it's a different world. I saw it myself as I did a little work in the Utila Lodge resort as well as working for the more backpacker oriented dives schools. The resort was full on service, esp. with the mainly US clientele - the DM has to be there all the time and have the answer to everything, and be prepared to talk diving all day and all night. The backpackers are there for a good time. I'd meet my students at the bar and have a few rum 'n' cokes and talk about traveling.

Lack of skills for a resort is nothing to do with training in Koh Tao or Utila, its a lack of expereince with that kind of customer. So in fact you may be justified not to employ a Thai or Honduras trained DM, but it is NOT for lack of good training. I think there was a kind of dirty rumour floating round about these places some years back and I tell you, the dive centres in Utila were very aware of it and so went out of their way to give better training, even if it was for a cheap price. I'm sure the same is true in Koh Tao. There is maybe a misconception that you get a kind of hippy druggie instructor who's been out in the sun too long and teaches very lazily. I think the opposit is true. The instructors I had in Utila, and hopefully I was the same when I became one, were professional and hard working, and gave a lot of time for their DM students.

And that's all I have to say about that...

I used to work at Planet Scuba and there are some good people there. If you have to go to Ko Tao, you could do worse.

chantana:
I used to work at Planet Scuba and there are some good people there. If you have to go to Ko Tao, you could do worse.

lol Chantana....not sure if you've made me feel better or worse. :) j/k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom