Considering purchasing a MK25/A700 but was wondering if could order the "black" cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyrider18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I really like the A700 black tech version but would rather not pay the extra money for a difference in color. Has anyone ordered just the "black" housing to replace their chrome one? If so, about how much money was it? Has anyone tried to paint or powder coat it? I know it may be a silly question but I am fearful of attracting unwanted visitors who are attracted to shiny objects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

---------- Post added December 17th, 2012 at 11:02 PM ----------

Sorry one other question. I live in NY but so far all of my diving has been in the Caribbean. I was considering the DIN version with a YOKE adapter. I read somewhere that some people have had complaints of the regulator hitting them in the back of the head because of the extra length. What are your thoughts? I just like the idea of having the ability to switch back and forth. I understand that the majority of the dive resorts use YOKE and not DIN. Thank you in advance!

Hi harleyrider18, sorry i can't help with your first question. I have the MK25/S600 that has the DIN connection and I really like it. I have the Yoke adapter, but I haven't had to use it yet. I can see how somebody could hit their head on the first stage, it does stick out a bit further. Most of the tanks that my local LDS hires out have the Yoke fitting, but thats not really an issue for me as I have my own tanks ( 2 * 12ltr Steel Fabers). The Faber tanks have an adapter that screws into the valve with an 8mm allen key so you can set them up for DIN or Yoke. The only place that I have dived overseas was Hawaii and I only saw tanks with a Yoke fitting.

I have never seen on with a black front cover. Not saying it doesn't exist, but not aware of any such animal. Why do you want the black over the Chrome? Just curious.

As for using a DIN with a Yoke adapter, I did that for a while on my MK25/S600 recreational regulator. Several times I had the DIN o-ring (seals the regulator to the cylinder or the adapter go bad). Not a big deal, just had to change out the O-ring quickly & carry on. I did eventually change it over to a strictly yoke regulator & haven't had any more issues from it. Just keep in mind, the DIN to Yoke adapter is another potential failure point.

The A700 front cover is not available by itself at this time.
All of the DIN discussions are correct; however remember 99% of the Caribbean uses yoke connections ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom