Consistency on DIR?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
Next week. It's been planned for sometime. Not only that, but he's been communicating with the NAUI and everything is out in the open. There are four instructors doing the NAUI Tech instructor class next week, with one coming from Sweden. Not to mention, they there is supposed to be a bunch of divers taking the instructor class right before DEMA.
What I find freak'n hilarious is that some of those crossover instructors were tearing Peter DenHaan apart on the Internet two years ago ... now they're taking classes from him.

Shop politics sure is a funny thing, ain't it ... :crafty:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What I find freak'n hilarious is that some of those crossover instructors were tearing Peter DenHaan apart on the Internet two years ago ... now they're taking classes from him.

Shop politics sure is a funny thing, ain't it ... :crafty:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not sure who is taking the class from Peter, but the instructors I know are doing the crossover with a friend of mine Rich Christiansen from "Adventure Scuba" up in Reno. However, I do know some people who have taken classes with Peter a number of years ago and said he was a pretty good guy.

boomx5:
I'm not sure who is taking the class from Peter, but the instructors I know are doing the crossover with a friend of mine Rich Christiansen from "Adventure Scuba" up in Reno. However, I do know some people who have taken classes with Peter a number of years ago and said he was a pretty good guy.
He is a good guy ... and an awesome instructor.

But back when I first joined the board I mentioned something about tech classes from Peter as an alternative to DIR, and got a nice round of derisive commentary. Heck, his picture's even in the Internet DIR Hall of Shame.

That's what I find funny.

AFAIK ... Peter's doing AG's crossover ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a GUE tech 1 grad and tech 2 hopeful, I use my double and single rigs as often as possible. As a PADI IDCS I teach in what the students wear. I try to vary my rigs, tanks al vs steel etc as often as possible so that I do not become stuck in a rut and have muscle memory for each maintained as well as an ability to quickly adapt to whatever I am given to work with. My students are exposed to DIR concepts and welcome to try technical set up as a way of broadening their education and appreciation that there is more out there than what is in the OW manual. Additionally, remember for ITC you must remove your rig while performing rescue breathing, and personally, I feel all those plastic releases are perfect for this, otherwise, I try to reduce those types of failure points.

You may begin firing away!

Susan

NWGratefulDiver:
He is a good guy ... and an awesome instructor.

He's a damn good guy. He's one of the few techies I know that doesn't seem to have an ego. We don't always see eye to eye on configuration, but at least he respects other's opinions and takes the time to listen. Now, if he'd only ditch the split fins...

Bruce

coralcuts:
As a GUE tech 1 grad and tech 2 hopeful, I use my double and single rigs as often as possible. As a PADI IDCS I teach in what the students wear. I try to vary my rigs, tanks al vs steel etc as often as possible so that I do not become stuck in a rut and have muscle memory for each maintained as well as an ability to quickly adapt to whatever I am given to work with. My students are exposed to DIR concepts and welcome to try technical set up as a way of broadening their education and appreciation that there is more out there than what is in the OW manual. Additionally, remember for ITC you must remove your rig while performing rescue breathing, and personally, I feel all those plastic releases are perfect for this, otherwise, I try to reduce those types of failure points.

You may begin firing away!

Susan

Susan,
I've been pretty lucky with my new shop (Eco Dive Center in Culver City, CA). Ron sells b/p & wings and encourages open water students to take that route so there's been no issue with me wearing the same (except for the fact that my stuff all "had" blue H's plastered on it). So far, nothing has been said about the 5' hose. I just make sure to spend a few extra minutes taking the time to explain the how and why my equipment is configured the way it is. So far, so good.

Bruce

NWGratefulDiver:
AFAIK ... Peter's doing AG's crossover ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not that it really matters, Lonnie Sharp and Rich Christensen are taking care of the cross-overs...

scubaputz:
Not that it really matters, Lonnie Sharp and Rich Christensen are taking care of the cross-overs...
Thanks for the correction. You're right, it doesn't matter. I apologize for the digression ... something about the situation just struck me as funny (I've a strange sense of humor at times) ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom