Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use a console and a wrist computer for redundancy and I prefer console, which extends with a small retractor. Here are my arguments:
- with a compass on the console all the instruments can be read with one glance
-you never forget or lose your computer
-at night, it's easy to shine your flashlight from your right hand to the console
-the console is ideal for hose connected air integration as in the Cobra or Atomics
-the more stuff on wrists the more gets caught on shoulder straps when donning the BC

Adam

In hind sight I would have liked to have purchased the integrated air feature for my watch because I would be able to see what PSI my tank was at throughout my dive once downloaded on the computer and (if I understand the capabilities of the program correctly) it would have given me a running SAC rate on my screen so I could pin point times that I use most of my gas. I would be able to better see the effects of cold, physical exertion, pour buoyancy, etc all graphed out on the screen instead of looking at an end result of "X" SAC rate. Although that really isn't the most practical or important it would still be a pretty cool toy :wink:

About to retire an old (and very reliable) Aeris Atmos 2. Started out in a console, however I pulled it out and installed it in a wrist boot -- wouldn't have it any other way. It will now reside in the dive bag as backup, to make room for a Galileo Luna, also a wrist mount (has integrated air with a wireless transmitter, but I keep my console SPG for redundancy).

Also has an integrated digital compass (but keep my Suunto SK-7 compass in a DSS wrist boot for backup, as well -- also in the dive bag).

Obviously, I've found I much prefer putting components around my wrist, than clipping or hanging them.

I understand the logic - and I think you will see that there is no one "right" answer. If I had known when I bought my console what all the arguments were - I probably wouldn't have bought it - the arguments for a wrist mounted system seem pretty compelling. But it has worked flawlessly for me and I'm now pretty partial to it.

I'm in my late 40's and I have a UWATECH SmartCom air-integrated console with an analog magnetic compass. I wear it like others here have explained: under my left arm and clipped using a retractor to a D-ring on my right chest. It stays right where it is easy to see at all times with either hand.

Here's what I like most about it: large, easy-to-read display. My old eyes have a hard time reading tiny text and details on a watch-sized computer without reading glasses. The SmartCOM is now 3 years old and has been on about 60 dives, and I still have have 87% battery left on the original battery.

The bad news: I will have to send it back to the factory when the battery eventually needs replacement.

Some folks have reported problems with quick-disconnects. So far (knock on wood) no problems at all with mine and easily disconnecting it from the reg for storage makes it a snap to download data via IR to my computer. The software is awesome - it snaps a picture of all my gauges every couple of seconds during my dive and graphs it for me showing depth (x) and time (y). Placing my cursor at any point on the time/depth chart shows me the exact readings on my console.

My dive buddy has a wrist mounted air-integrated system, and has had several instances where the transmitter and receiver stopped talking to each other during a dive. Sometimes it spontaneously is restored, sometimes not. He inists on having an SPG on a high pressure hose as a back-up for this reason. I'd be far more excited about air-integrated wrist computer if I could eliminate a hose, but apparently its not really a good idea, so where's the advantage? I have ANOTHER piece of gear to worry about and just as many hoses and gauges as before.

To me, my rig seems to make good practical sense - and it works for me. :)

I couldn't be happier with it and have no desire to change.

Last edited:
How easy is it to sneak one's arm into a crack to grab a lobster while wearing a wrist dive comp or depth gauge?

There's a reason why God invented both wrist mounts and console mounts.

Choose your dive style and configure your gear accordingly.

There is no way I'll ever replace my wrist mounted computer with a console. Ascending in open water at night with poor visibility has taught me that a computer/bt you can hold in front of your mask is a strict necessity.

Air integration? Waste of money. Rarely check air more than 3-4 times per dive anyway.

Air integrated a waste of time. Personally I like it. It gives me real RBT and calculates my air to surface with my designated safty margins.
I know how to calculate all my air consumptions and safty margins and bottom times but why not use the technogoly if it is there.
Everything is a personal choice. What is right for one, may not be right for another. Be a boring world if we all done things the same.

i have a console but am getting a wrist for back up
i prefer both depending on the dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom