Constructing Critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve had a good time reading about DIR and assessing where I fit into the system already and what I might consider changing to be more compliant but I don’t have a good feel for some of the configuration.

I’m kind of a visual guy. Could some of you hardcore overhead divers post pictures of divers in the fully suited DIR configuration?

And as I think about it, perhaps pictures of “halfway-there” DIR divers and a polite critique of what they have right and what they have wrong (and I mean “wrong” only in the academic sense, of course). Kind of like micro lectures, I suppose.

I’ve seen a couple of threads elsewhere in the macro-forum run amuck, so, if possible avoid critiquing critics except when necessary.

I’m looking forward your posts.

JB

RockPile:
I’ve had a good time reading about DIR and assessing where I fit into the system already and what I might consider changing to be more compliant but I don’t have a good feel for some of the configuration.

I’m kind of a visual guy. Could some of you hardcore overhead divers post pictures of divers in the fully suited DIR configuration?

Have a look at the frogkick site. You might not understand Dutch, but there are a lot of pictures for both a technical and a recreational DIR setup (along with details and pictures of meetings)

Click on "apparatuur" in the navigation and then "recreatief DIR" or "technisch DIR"

RockPile:
Probably the most comprehensive set of pics can be found on the WKPP web site. There are also several other sites out there with good pics - BAUE.org, DIR-Diver.com, and of course the GUE website. The latter contains a pretty good explanation of everything, along with some pictures.

You should also definitely consider reading JJ's book Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving (currently being discussed in another thread), as well as Dan MacKay's book entitled Dress for Success. If you can't find anyone to loan you copies, then they can be ordered from GUE

Personally, I think you would be better off having someone walk you through the gear config in person. This will allow them to explain the rationale behind everything, as well as giving you an opportunity to ask questions. Obviously it should be someone who is extremely knowledgeable about DIR, and dives with that configuration consistently.

And as I think about it, perhaps pictures of “halfway-there” DIR divers and a polite critique of what they have right and what they have wrong (and I mean “wrong” only in the academic sense, of course).
There are lot of examples out there of "doing it wrong". The best one I know of is the DIW page on Jeff Bentley's web site. It's a little dated, but addresses several of the most common problems. There's also the (intended to be) humorous str*ke test, which takes a tongue and cheek look at some poorly thought out configurations (oh dear - I hope I will not get banned for providing a link to a site that uses the "S" word). :11:

After you've taken some time to study those, come back here with your questions, and we will do our best to answer them.

Okay, thanks fellas. I appreciate your responses. Great pictures.

JB

DIR Atlanta, the $#!@$ Test was exactly what I was looking for (and hoping that you guys would have some fun doing in an ad hoc kind of way on this thread). It's humorous and instructional.

My only complaint is that it's too short.

Thanks again.

JB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom