Contacts or prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lommnb

Reaction score
I wear contacts to see distance and wore them thru my OWD class and dives with no issues. What I am concerned about is wearing them and having to open my eyes underwater - pretty much guaranteeing I will lose them if that happens. Do most folks that are nearsighted dive contacts or prescription masks?

The replacement lenses aren't that much, but I do love the vision contacts gives me...

Thanks!

Scubatoys sales perscription mask if you know your strengths. I bought mine there and it has turned my world of diving into an all out love affair. There are options besides the perscription mask such as contacts or nothing at all.

I use daily contact lenses when I dive with good results, and I think a lot of others do as well--more than use prescription masks, if Scubaboard threads are indicative. I have never had any issues that one might worry about, like infection. I wear a mask when I dive, though, so I don't generally worry about opening my eyes underwater. I have tried it though, in the pool and in the ocean, and my lenses didn't wash out of my eyes.

I've worn disposable contacts on hundreds of dives without incident.
Lots of divers in my neck of the woods (SoCal) wear contacts while diving.
When I flood and clear my mask, I simply keep my eyes shut.
Similar to vladimir, I carefully opened one eye once just to see what would happen and the contact lens remained in place. YMMV.
If you take this route, be sure to squirrel away some replacement disposable contacts and contact lens solution or prescription glasses in your save-a-dive kit.

There are at least a couple of disadvantages to wearing contact lenses while diving. You already mentioned one of the them -- losing a contact lens while opening your eyes underwater. Another situation that comes to mind is if, during a dive vacation, you have an eye infection which prevents you from wearing your contact lenses. In this case, no contact lenses = no diving (depending on how strong your prescription is).

I believe Doc Harry's link is for a custom ground lens. That's an excellent option, but it's probably rather expensive. If you don't have too much astigmatism, drop-in lenses can be a much more affordable option.

Check out this nice video by the guys over at ScubaToys:

If you get contacts that fit properly they shouldn't wash out when you open your eyes under water. Mine doesn't. And yes, some contacts fit and others don't. All eyes are not the same shape and size.

I normally wear glasses as I don't really like contact lenses in general but for diving I use dailies and it suits my diving perfectly. I'm sure it depends on how bad your vision is. I am myopic to the tune of -3 diopter.

One thing to bear in mind with prescription lenses is that, for as long as you don't have your mask on, you don't have corrective vision. This means that you might find yourself on a boat heading out to the dive site, unable to see properly what's going on around you - unless you sit there with your mask on. Also, after you surface and you wait for the boat you'll have to do so with your mask on.

Personally, I prefer contacts.

I believe Doc Harry's link is for a custom ground lens. That's an excellent option, but it's probably rather expensive. If you don't have too much astigmatism, drop-in lenses can be a much more affordable option.

Not any more expensive than any other scuba mask prescription lens, and he does excellent work.

I wear contacts to see distance and wore them thru my OWD class and dives with no issues. What I am concerned about is wearing them and having to open my eyes underwater - pretty much guaranteeing I will lose them if that happens. Do most folks that are nearsighted dive contacts or prescription masks?

The replacement lenses aren't that much, but I do love the vision contacts gives me...

Thanks!

I've used both and contacts are my preference. With contacts your still able to see when you pull your mask off. Also, I don't think I've ever lost a contact in the water.

Here's a tip I've found very useful regarding diving with contacts-If your nearsighted and wearing contacts you'll find reading your gauges is more difficult. To correct this I use one contact in one eye(and none in the other)-kind of a manual bi focal-works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom