Contacts or prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not any more expensive than any other scuba mask prescription lens, and he does excellent work.
@Doc Harry: I don't doubt that the guy does nice work. Out of curiosity, how much does he charge for custom ground prescription lenses (both eyes) fitted to a scuba mask?

ScubaToys sells the Tusa Splendive IV for $40. It also sells drop-in lenses to fit the Splendive IV up to -0.8 diopters for $30 each. In total, 2 of the drop-in lenses (one for each eye) + the mask runs $100.

Holy smokes, I would go insane if I had to do that! I'd imagine your myopia must be fairly mild as I can't imagine a dioptral difference of 3 or so between the two eyes.
Yes, I guess that strategy only works for a mild correction. But it's not unusual for a doctor to under-correct one eye's myopia to help cope with presbyopia.

Ive tried both and I prefer contacts. I am nearsighted and farsighted. I use daily monovision contacts and have had no problems. Ive had mask flooding and they did not come out.

Contacts, and only open my eyes under water whilst wearing a mask, one that isn't flooded. 1,400 dives and no problems yet, nor have I ever lost one. Always keep extras on boat, just in case.

I used these guys for a prescription mask.prescriptiondivemasks.com I had lasik a long time ago and now need readers. The half lenses are great, and I got to have them inserted into a mask I love, rather than using a mask that accommodates the lenses.

I've done it both ways. I ended up mostly using an Rx mask. The contacts worked, and I can wear them fine, but my eyes are such that if I wear contacts, I need reading glasses to read menus and such. I read small print perfectly with no correction. And I can read gauges just fine with single-vision masks. So it was just simpler to use the Rx mask. I can get to my glasses okay without having to walk around in the mask. And it's good to wear the mask while you're in the water, anyway.

I personally also found that with a mask I have a greater tolerance for variations from my actual precise distance diopter than I would be comfortable with in glasses, so the diopter steps in the off-the-shelf lenses was no problem. So as long as I get close, the mask is good. I have both Tusa Rx lenses for one Tusa mask and a cheap Rx mask from Amazon, the ones that commonly go by the Promate brand. I see no real difference between them, and I can't imagine that for me there would be any real improvement with custom lenses. I do keep contact lenses around, though, and I use them more often for surface activities, like kayaking, where dealing with spray (or falling in) is a nuisance and because my variable tint glasses just can't get Ray-Ban dark.

But my choice is strictly a convenience thing for someone who wears trifocals topside. Contacts are cheap enough.

Contacts for me. Lost one when I had to do checkouts in dive school. I guess yes for every other day except if you know you have to take your mask off underwater.

I always used contacts until I got corrective surgery. It really is a matter of personal preference.

Holy smokes, I would go insane if I had to do that! I'd imagine your myopia must be fairly mild as I can't imagine a dioptral difference of 3 or so between the two eyes.

Actually, I do the same thing. My right eye is a -4.25 and my left is a -1.0. I wear my contact in my right eye and none in my left. Works great for me because w/ my 48 YO eyes. I have to have reading glasses with both contacts in (or much longer arms) so I actually do the same thing on the surface (one contact). I don't have any issues with it.

Definitely side with the people who wear contacts instead of prescription masks, but I can't stand wearing glasses either :)

John

Back
Top Bottom