Continental Airlines Baggage Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am flying domestically on Continental and pushing my limits on checked baggage. Does anyone know for sure if dive gear is allowed to be over-size and over-weight without excess charges.

From their website, they have a lot of exceptions for sporting goods and it appears that a bag containing dive gear ONLY is exempt from the normal 50lbs / 62inch limit. It is not crystal clear and of course calling continental is a rather useless exercise in frustration and I don't have enough status on this airline to avoid fees entirely.

Thanks

Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.

If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to scuba equipment.

An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).

An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.

An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

So the way I read it you are allowed a checked bag of gear as either your 1st or 2nd bag.All excess weight charges/oversize charges/ 1st or 2nd bag charges are applicable..I am leaving on Continental Saturday night to Bonaire.I have 1 checked bag of gear and clothes,weighs 43lbs,and 1 carry on with regulator/computer/camera/housing/strobe/tee shirt/bathing suit in it..

^^ Uh, thanks for the thought, but pasting the same unclear information from their site does not really answer the question I asked. That is the first place I looked.

I have heard of people being able to check a bag full of scuba gear which was more than the wt limit and not being charged extra, but I don't remember which airline or which airport for that matter. I think you might be able to get away with it, but most likely not. It is sorta like TSA, some places they are very easy, other places they treat everyone like a terrorist. These days, I wouldn't expect anything good regarding luggage of any sort - checked or carryon!

where ya going?

robin:D

^^ LA, wife is dragging me along on a conference, so I will have to occupy myself with some diving in Catalina. Its a tough business, but someone has to be the good hubby.:D

^^ Uh, thanks for the thought, but pasting the same unclear information from their site does not really answer the question I asked. That is the first place I looked.
Well, I'm glad he did since you didn't link to the page. The reason that it is unclear is that it used ok for one bag of scuba gear only to be up to 70# without penalty, but all they did was remove that sentence without rewriting the section - so it is odd at best.

For international destinations, you probly get one bad free, one for $27-30, as long as neither is over 50#. Oops, you're flying domestic; i think you get to pay for both bags. If either is over 50#, that's an extra $50 I think. If both are 50-70#, it'd be cheaper to upgrade to First Class online within 24 hours of flight. BTW, the roll-on is limited to 40# I think but you get more leeway there as they are not likely to check it. Hope you have portable digital scales to weigh with for the return.
I have heard of people being able to check a bag full of scuba gear which was more than the wt limit and not being charged extra, but I don't remember which airline or which airport for that matter. I think you might be able to get away with it, but most likely not. It is sorta like TSA, some places they are very easy, other places they treat everyone like a terrorist. These days, I wouldn't expect anything good regarding luggage of any sort - checked or carryon!

where ya going?

robin:D
Some agents may still allow a scuba only bag 50-70# to go without additional charges by mistake, like at a popular dive destination where they used to allow many but didn't get the internal change. We used to encourage each other to print out that page and highlight the extra allowance, but - it's gone. :idk:

Hi Don,

I have spoken with 3 people at Continental, one actually confessed he did not know and could not figure out the policy from the web page (+1 for a honest person). One told me no problem, no extra charge and the last one (a native English speaker) told me overweight / size charges would apply. So the answer as far as I can determine is all of the above and I would be at risk for getting nailed for extra weight, right or wrong.

I did not post the link on purpose, it is very confusing and wanted to avoid people interpeting what they think it means, so I tried to ask a very focused question and draw on the personal experience of divers. When one using the term think or logic in dealing with TSA or the airlines, they are headed down the rabbit hole fast....

Oh well, I will break the gear down into 2 bags, it is a lot cheaper than paying for oversize ($23 vs $50). And yes I need 2 dive bags, 2 divers and cold So Calif water means I have 60lbs of gear.

Don, if you can figure out how to upgrade to first class for the cost of an extra bag (currently $23), then please do share your secret. Every time I have tried the price is crazy high, so I only fly first when I can upgrade with miles.

Thanks for your input

Hi Don,

I have spoken with 3 people at Continental, one actually confessed he did not know and could not figure out the policy from the web page (+1 for a honest person). One told me no problem, no extra charge and the last one (a native English speaker) told me overweight / size charges would apply. So the answer as far as I can determine is all of the above and I would be at risk for getting nailed for extra weight, right or wrong.
Yeah the phone agents are not good at explaining what the counter agents will do. There might be a Customer Service department that is, but I don't know. As I explained or at least tried to, there used to be a free extra weight allowance for a scuba gear bag only, but when they took that sentence out, it left the section hard to understand.
I did not post the link on purpose, it is very confusing and wanted to avoid people interpeting what they think it means, so I tried to ask a very focused question and draw on the personal experience of divers. When one using the term think or logic in dealing with TSA or the airlines, they are headed down the rabbit hole fast....
Haha my experiences have varies a lot...
When Cont and Delta were partners, they gave me Elite luggage allowances of 2 free 70# bags, not not upgrades.

When they canceled the partnership without any warning that I saw, I got hit hard: at the airport at 4am, 2 bags over 50#, I had to pay $25 for second bag to Mexico and $100 for the two being over. No time to repack anything, take anything home, etc.

For a year, they gave me Cont Elite status as a Match to Delta now that they were not partners so I got Elite luggage and seat upgrades both. :cool2:

Now I am bag to non-Elite living with the same rules as you.​
Oh well, I will break the gear down into 2 bags, it is a lot cheaper than paying for oversize ($23 vs $50). And yes I need 2 dive bags, 2 divers and cold So Calif water means I have 60lbs of gear.
Two passengers are allowed to check up to 2 bags each, up to 50# each, as the rates published. If you two can get by on one bag each, how nice.

35kseq9.jpg

Do keep in mind that Cont disallows any liability on scuba gear. :shocked2:
Don, if you can figure out how to upgrade to first class for the cost of an extra bag (currently $23), then please do share your secret. Every time I have tried the price is crazy high, so I only fly first when I can upgrade with miles.

Thanks for your input
Nope, not what I said at all. Referring to per passenger "If both are 50-70#, it'd be cheaper to upgrade to First Class online within 24 hours of flight." You can upgrade to FC for $100 the day before travel online, if that has not changed, then have two bags up to 70# free.

But if you are just checking two bags for two people (how minimal!), then you can pay $23-25 each.

making sure i know what i'm talking about.......continental from US to mexico/carribean/central america.........we get one checked bag free right? and then $27 for second bag, right? and that's each way, not roundtrip, right?

making sure i know what i'm talking about.......continental from US to mexico/carribean/central america.........we get one checked bag free right? and then $27 for second bag, right? and that's each way, not roundtrip, right?
Yep, I just illustrated domestic fees. For your trip, one bag each free up to 50#, second bag is $27 online, $30 in person - each way. Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage Fees

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom