Continued Carbon Monoxide - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info Woodman. I'm glad you found out about the 8ppm tank (2ppm tank too) and didn't dive it. I've never been to Reef House, but have heard good things about them. I'm a CocoView gal myself :)

Well, just got back from a fantastic trip to Reef House on Roatan, and I took my spanking new Pocket CO2 Scuba unit with me. Mike (the resort owner) had been gracious enough to hunt down a set of high pressure steel 100cf tanks for me, as I am the original airhog, and these tanks all had bright yellow paint on their top ends. Not sure where he borrowed them from, but they had CCR marked on the top where they were painted yellow. Anyway, the first tank I tested read 2ppm, which is not bad, I guess. They had two of those tanks set up on the boat for me, however, and when I tested the second tank, I got 8ppm.:shocked2: Yipes! I retested it a couple of times, and got nearly the same thing each time. Testing atmospheric air off the front of the boat read 0ppm, and testing the tank again got me 9ppm. I told Mike, and he grabbed the tank and vented it right there on the dock. He got me another yellow topper, and this one was good. I never found another tank which was a problem the entire time I was there, although I admit that I slacked off on testing after awhile, The only thing I can think of was that the tank came pressurized from the original owner, and that's where the problem was. Mike's operation was clean though, and he gave excellent fills with nearly every tank. Spooky stuff, nonetheless. Woody

A few weeks. Too soon for the new analyzer according to Patti.
Timing! You could get the $200 Pocket CO Scuba model. It has limitations but it works. When I first got mine, I loaned to my LDS to take on a trip to Utila. They forgot about it until much of the group got sick the first day, then tested. :eek: The Operator drained all tanks, cleaned up the compressor room, changed the air intake...!

Of course, all of that can be in good order but if the compressor runs hot, it can produce it's own CO.

OK - another lurker chimes in. I have looked through this and prior listing before, but could you direct me to the different companies, etc. I did try to look at Analox and it seemed to assume I already had an account. No, just wanted info. Any direction would help. I think the more accurate data that divers collect, the more power there is. Cozumel is beautiful, but if they will not respect and respond to this real problem, then there are other places.
Woody - I will look at Reef house from your recommendations. Both locations are beautiful. If one is safe and if there is any questions, they dump the air and make sure it is safe, great. I would be willing to bet that most divers would rather spend a little more to assure safety than strictly cost(especially with family there). I did a cruise with my family in August, going to GC, Cozumel and Roatan. I have to admit was was concerned with Coz because 3 of the 4 tanks my son and I were given had defective o rings - like part of it missing. At the end of the dive, we watched them dragging the steel tanks across the stone dock scuffing off material. Will these be an issue someday? Again, thanks for the tireless efforts.

Bob

S-Bob, Coz remains my favorite destination but competition is so fierce there that most Ops don't own compressors, just use the main fill station. Some do, but minimizing expenses is always a need in such competition. Someone claimed that one Op has an inline monitor, so I asked for pics from his next visit, but that didn't happen - possibly because they didn't have one. to my knowledge, no one does.

Yeah, there are other destinations, most of which do not use inline monitors. They're more common in the US with insurance and legal risks, but not universal. Compressor dieseling is more common in warm climes and busier compressors but can happen anywhere. I know of a case in Seattle for which we are still waiting air test results (no monitor, just their good name) and others north of the Rio Grande that are still pending results or we never heard. All this just makes me more cynical.

I test all of my tanks, wherever I go; have had 5 ppm readings or more in Coz, Roatan, New Mexico, and only wish I had started sooner. I remember a very crappy Op we used in Belize, and the first day - all of the non-Nitrox users got ill. Now I have to wonder if those were close calls and the Op cleaned up his compressor?

So, pressing the Ops to install inline monitors is needed, yes. Sure they cost $1,000 to install or more outside of US, but Analox can make it happen. So what if tanks cost a few pennies more to fill?

But I'll still test my tanks, even if I actually see the inline monitor. I got my cheaper Pocket CO replaced and I'll be getting an Analox analyzer next month when they come available. Analox does not have a portable to offer now as they are replacing the rebranded model with their own. This site DEMA product launch addresses threat of carbon monoxide poisoning | Analox Blog will give you advance info but the specs are not available yet. Odd that they still have the old rebranded model up on their site, but it'll be replaced with the new one soon I am sure.

When is your next trip...?

I'm another lurker being educated wth this thread. Last year while diving on a live aboard in the channel islands, my wife complained of getting headaches after diving. I also got a slight headache, but never made the connection. I'm going to put a CO analyzer on my shopping list.

This also got me thinking. Is this something a dive computer, with the appropiate CO sensor, could measure?

Thanks for being a Trail Blazer DandyDon and all.

This also got me thinking. Is this something a dive computer, with the appropiate CO sensor, could measure?
I suppose it could be done but I think the cost would be excessive, with no need. Just check each tank once.

There are many possible causes for headaches after diving, but it's good to rule out toxic mistakes.

I'm trying to read through everything on the board to learn about the CO issue. I've seen a couple of posts from folks looking for a portable device that can do both CO and O2. Does anyone have experience with the BW Technologies Gas Alert Max XT Multi-Gas Detector?

watermark.axd

The price is about what two separate devices would cost, and combo-device would be convenient.

I'm trying to read through everything on the board to learn about the CO issue. I've seen a couple of posts from folks looking for a portable device that can do both CO and O2. Does anyone have experience with the BW Technologies Gas Alert Max XT Multi-Gas Detector?

The price is about what two separate devices would cost, and combo-device would be convenient.
Swamp Diver has mentioned liking that brand for CO, I think. Maybe he can post to your question better.

Back before cell phone, when cordless phones and answering machines were still kinda new, I never wanted a combination unit as I wanted to have to deal with only one failure, repair or replace, upgrade at a time - but that was my preference. They still sold and now it's common. My cordless has an answering machine built in, which I ignore and have my home phone on conditional forward to cell phone and voice mail. Still, those were two units sitting on a desk.

Carrying one or two units in dry boxes onto a boat, I can see the appeal of carrying & using one. Some of the consideration would be how fast and how accurate the sensors are, how long they last, how easy to calibrate CO sensor, cost to replace either, etc - and then there is cost. The Analox O2EII Nitrox Analyzer can be had with sensor saver for $225 free shipping or with sensor saver and custom pelican box for around $250 delivered. Add the new Analox CO analyzer for around $300 = $550 or so, that's a couple hundred less than your link, and both made by a company that caters to scuba divers.

Finally, wouldn't appeal as much to dives who already own Nitrox analyzers. Or maybe it would vary with the diver's personal budget and spending habits. :eyebrow: I'd have to pass with mine, but could be a viable option. If you get one, please do let us know how it goes...

Carrying one or two units in dry boxes onto a boat, I can see the appeal of carrying & using one. Some of the consideration would be how fast and how accurate the sensors are, how long they last, how easy to calibrate CO sensor, cost to replace either, etc - and then there is cost. ...Finally, wouldn't appeal as much to dives who already own Nitrox analyzers. Or maybe it would vary with the diver's personal budget and spending habits.

Good Points.

Looking at the Analox web site, I see they now sell a "CO Portable" analyzer, but also show under their "New Product" page, an item called the "EII CO analyzer. Do you have any info on the latter?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom