Continuing Rescue Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySiren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently took a PADI rescue cert course because I wanted to feel more empowered and advance my education, but I don't exactly feel like I gained much more knowledge than I had as AOW and don't really have confidence in much of what we went over. I feel like I paid for a checkmark, not a real course. It was a lot of money just to prove I know how to take a written test and for very limited instruction/practical training, mostly just vaguely repeating what is said in the training book by a DM who wasn't exactly a teacher / instructor.

I'm wondering how people practice practical emergency response? Are there rescue dive or similar training courses that are geared towards really drilling and practicing emergency response scenarios? How would I go about looking for that? I'm based in Los Angeles if that is helpful. Right now all I can think of is throwing my friends in the pool and asking them to act unpredictability.

There are some threads on SB in which various people described their Rescue courses, and my takeaway was that, to a degree I found disturbing, the content of the Rescue course can apparently vary from instructor to instructor. Some people described a course in which the instructor really challenged them with creative scenarios to handle, while others described a course like you apparently had. My own Rescue course was the former, and my wife's was the latter.

The rescue diver course is really there to provide you the foundation to be a lay rescuer - that is, you are not a professional rescuer. You have the knowledge to be familiar with a rescue should you ever be in the position to rescue your buddy or someone else, i.e., you've seen something like that before, and hopefully that will be enough to help you do more than sit there.

That said, it is valuable to practice some of these skills. A lot has to do with recognizing problems early on - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Think through what a stressed diver looks like - start routinely checking your dive buddies to make sure they aren't wide-eyed and hyperventilating. As you are diving, think through random failures and how you would solve them. Start being stricter with yourself and your buddies about fundamental skills (buoyancy control, trim, streamlining, gear placement, etc). Good fundamental skills prevent a lot of problems.

If you want more actual scenario practice, find some buddies (who already have their rescue cert), hire an instructor, and ask them to just spend a day refreshing rescues. The reason for an instructor is that they'll be better able to spot problems, instead of you all trying to remember nuances. The instructor (especially if they're attached to a dive shop) will also (hopefully) have access to additional equipment (like a float to attach ditched gear to, donor bp/w for cutting off of a patient, CPR dummies, etc), and already has realistic training scenarios planned.

Finally, keep your medical skills up to snuff. Your O2 provider does expire, so make sure you recert that. Go take a Wilderness First Aid course to broaden your skills (really focus on the patient assessment drills - that's the money).

One note about scenarios - you need to really think them through in terms of how realistic they are and what the training value is. Scenarios are training value for both rescuer and patient/actor - rescuer needs to use their skills and knowledge to solve the problem, while the patient/actor needs to use their knowledge of what is going wrong and what is happening to evolve the scenario and make the training realistic. Just having your friend act unpredictably underwater isn't helpful - they need to know when and how to respond to the actions that the rescuer takes. It is even more valuable if the patient/actor reacts negatively to mistakes that the rescuer makes, instead of allowing the rescuer to simply gloss over that mistake. There are also a lot of different scenarios to look at. Just a few I can think of immediately - OOG diver, unconcious diver, failed wing, cramping, shore carry w/ unconcious diver, boat entry w/ unconcious diver, drysuit diver, rebreather diver

I recently took a PADI rescue cert course because I wanted to feel more empowered and advance my education, but I don't exactly feel like I gained much more knowledge than I had as AOW and don't really have confidence in much of what we went over. I feel like I paid for a checkmark, not a real course. It was a lot of money just to prove I know how to take a written test and for very limited instruction/practical training, mostly just vaguely repeating what is said in the training book by a DM who wasn't exactly a teacher / instructor.

I'm wondering how people practice practical emergency response? Are there rescue dive or similar training courses that are geared towards really drilling and practicing emergency response scenarios? How would I go about looking for that? I'm based in Los Angeles if that is helpful. Right now all I can think of is throwing my friends in the pool and asking them to act unpredictability.

The instructors I have dealt with have been more than happy to have past rescue students participate in their ongoing classes.

First evaluate how well the class was run and how well they covered the material, at a 100+ dives you should have no problem with that. A good instructor should be able to make an exciting class. If it was that bad, look for another instructor and take it again, you might be able to talk the instructor into a price break, and you already have your training materials.

The rescue diver course is really there to provide you the foundation to be a lay rescuer - that is, you are not a professional rescuer. You have the knowledge to be familiar with a rescue should you ever be in the position to rescue your buddy or someone else, i.e., you've seen something like that before, and hopefully that will be enough to help you do more than sit there.

That said, it is valuable to practice some of these skills. A lot has to do with recognizing problems early on - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Think through what a stressed diver looks like - start routinely checking your dive buddies to make sure they aren't wide-eyed and hyperventilating. As you are diving, think through random failures and how you would solve them. Start being stricter with yourself and your buddies about fundamental skills (buoyancy control, trim, streamlining, gear placement, etc). Good fundamental skills prevents a lot of problems.

If you want more actual scenario practice, find some buddies (who already have their rescue cert), hire an instructor, and ask them to just spend a day refreshing rescues. The reason for an instructor is that they'll be better able to spot problems, instead of you all trying to remember nuances. The instructor (especially if they're attached to a dive shop) will also (hopefully) have access to additional equipment (like a float to attach ditched gear to, donor bp/w for cutting off of a patient, CPR dummies, etc), and already has realistic training scenarios planned.

Finally, keep your medical skills up to snuff. Your O2 provider does expire, so make sure you recert that. Go take a Wilderness First Aid course to broaden your skills (really focus on the patient assessment drills - that's the money).

One note about scenarios - you need to really think them through in terms of how realistic they are and what the training value is. Scenarios are training value for both rescuer and patient/actor - rescuer needs to use their skills and knowledge to solve them problem, while the patient/actor needs to use their knowledge of what is going wrong and what is happening to evolve the scenario and make the training realistic. Just having your friend act unpredictably underwater isn't helpful - they need to know when and how to respond to the actions that the rescuer takes. It is even more valuable if the patient/actor reacts negatively to mistakes that the rescuer makes, instead of allowing the rescuer to simply gloss over that mistake. There are also a lot of different scenarios to look at. Just a few I can think of immediately - OOG diver, unconcious diver, failed wing, cramping, shore carry w/ unconcious diver, boat entry w/ unconcious diver, drysuit diver, rebreather diver
Thank you this is such a thoughtful response and very helpful!

I've read that Rescue Courses vary a lot. I found the one I took to be challenging mentally, though not really all that physical, as I was told it would be. Diving solo all the time now, I do review the Rescue Manual so at least I mentally know the stuff-- it's a thick book. Better than doing nothing I guess. I also review EFR (CPR) a bit daily.

Two additional options.

You can book a (different) instructor for a private refresher. Explain what you want and I'm sure you can work something out.

For an out of the box approach, you could take a Red Cross Lifeguard course - Lifeguard Training | Train to be a Lifeguard | Red Cross . You'll get a ton of training on surface rescues and the safety mindset also carries over.

I was a lifeguard in high school and college and when I got around to the Rescue course, it was pretty easy. The greatest difference in the courses was all the time spent practicing doffing scuba gear during a rescue. But frankly, that's about the least important thing in most actual rescue scenarios. Well, that and the use of surface 02, but I imagine you've got that part down.

FWIW, my son and I had a good experience with PADI rescue training this past weekend in a local quarry. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to watching or reading about others' accidents, so I felt maybe a bit more prepared than the online learning along would provide. I can say we did a LOT of in-water practical scenarios and if nothing else it was worthwhile to try to do things in very low viz (couldn't see half of my neon green fins viz). Underwater scenarios where very challenging and controlled chaos. It was about 12 students and 4 instructors with another 3-4 DMs assisting. They did a great job on day 2 with multiple victim scenarios. It was easy to see how chaotic it can get and the swirl among the rescuers debating who's doing what, etc. For me at least, it was good to get some reps with this, seeing how hard it is to do rescue breaths in the water, getting me and you out of gear on the fly, etc.

Back
Top Bottom