ContourHD 1080p and the H2OV - compact & tough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i guess it all comes down to what compromise you want to make. i agree that the quality of the flip is pretty decent, but i much prefer the wide angle aspect - but i'm also new to the digital video world so i don't know quite what i'm missing in quality - it took it being pointed out for me notice the fish bowl effect...i just hope that it's really being released via amazon on the 25th - i leave for thailand on the 16th!

Gombessa, do you know why there was some flickering on your video? is that a video issue or a youtube issue?

as for the maskcam - i'd like to pretend i may use this above water...

i am a fan though of once we get enough videos on all these units posting them in one space so we can all compare - perhaps we can convince these companies to loan us their equipment to test out for them!

bg

Gombessa, do you know why there was some flickering on your video? is that a video issue or a youtube issue?

Hmm, what kind of flickering do you see? There's a smooth, gradual color shift from blue to green and back again as the camera tries to auto-white-balance, but I don't get any high-frequency flickering at all on either the local or the youtube versions - could be a playback issue on your end?

HD playback on youtube will sometimes stutter a bit while the video is loading, sometimes you have to wait for the entire thing to buffer, and then drag the play slider to the beginning of the clip.

it's not a buffering issue - but a flickering to black - i'm sure it's not a video issue as much as something on youtube's end or mine...

in general i've been impressed with videos posted on vimeo than on youtube - they seem to load better and come out better...

it's not a buffering issue - but a flickering to black - i'm sure it's not a video issue as much as something on youtube's end or mine...

in general i've been impressed with videos posted on vimeo than on youtube - they seem to load better and come out better...

Hmm, I can't see any flickering to black. Let me know if it's persistent...

I'm with you on Vimeo. Most people think Youtube quality is better, mostly because the default play window is larger, but IMO Vimeo preserves greater detail. I just don't use it as much because of the upload limits on free accounts (I'm in the middle of a 20-hour, 8GB batch upload to Youtube and it just sits there and takes it, which I love).

Update, the H2OV has been pressure tested to 300 feet and worked flawlessly, it is now certified for tech diving :) GMSconcepts

GMSconcepts
Compact 1080p HD video system pressure tested to 300 feet - 100m. Mount to a dive helmet or on the back of your hand with a goodman handle. The system is point and shoot, the camera has a 135 degree wide angle lens that can rotate 180 degrees for leveling at any mount angle, also a duel laser alignment function for horizon and center of video location. The exposure can be adjusted for low light conditions and you can record up to 4 hours on a 16 GB micro SD card. For it's size, 2" X 3" X 5" this is the most compact and deepest rated housing you can get. see it at GMSconcepts

do you have any Green/Dark water vid taken with this camera? Unlighted. seems about the perfect setup for my freedive spearfishing Gun Cam, but I dive British Columbia, and our waters are not so bright :wink:

thanks.

yeah, I saw that, but 40'? everything is bright at that depth.

if you can get one in the 80' range, then it will answer some questions....

...if you can get one in the 80' range, then it will answer some questions....

Exactly. I'm hardly ever in less than 80 fsw. And in N.J. things are usually fairly dark and green down there. It doesn't really matter now because I've already decided to go with a Canon P/S ( SD980 IS) that shoots HD video instead of buying an inexpensive HD video camera. It's 780p, but it'll work for me. Now if I can only get someone to buy my current rig...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom